We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pisa to Montepulciano: How Long a Drive?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Pisa to Montepulciano: How Long a Drive?

Hi

Does anyone know approximately how long it might take to drive from Pisa to Montepulciano?

We are arriving at lunchtime on Saturday into Pisa. I'm wondering if we have time to stop off and see the Tower, etc or whether it's best to head straight to where we are staying.

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pisa to Montepulciano: How Long a Drive?

According to the following website - http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/ - Pisa Airport and Montepulciano are 194kms apart and they give an optimistic driving time of 2.42hrs.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pisa to Montepulciano: How Long a Drive?

Sure, you should have time. It's not an easy drive, I don't even reckon it's a very nice one and always urge my visitors to fly into FCO or Florence. You have a choice of routes either via Certaldo / Siena on that long, slow road that's singl lane all the way or via Florence and the A1. The latter is usually less stressful as it's just switch off and go autoroute driving, though the traffic can be bad as you circuit Florence.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pisa to Montepulciano: How Long a Drive?

Thank you. I was planning on taking the A1. I'm assuming you can use a credit card to pay tolls.

I was thinking 2hours 45 was a bit of an over estimate, but having read the first reply I'm now thinking it's going to take a good deal longer than that.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pisa to Montepulciano: How Long a Drive?

Check Via Michelin for timing but 3 hrs should be max. It's around an hour from Bettolle to Firenze on a good day and not much more than an hour from there to Pisa. Yes, you can pay with credit cards at the tolls. You can avoid one toll if you take the PI/Fi (via Empoli) expressway rather than the more northerly autostrada. It's only around Euros 6\7 or so depending where you get on precisely from Florence down to here.

5. Re: Pisa to Montepulciano: How Long a Drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 05:41