We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuscanny for 3 nights

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tuscanny for 3 nights

Hi,

We are a group of 7 persons and are planning to stay in Arezzo either Il Pozzo (Apartments )Capolona (Arezzo) or Fattoria di Belvedere or Ponte A Nappo apartments (for Nappo - i did not read very good reviews for their apts)

1. When we arrive in Florence, which is the most convenient place to pick up a car and drive to Arezzo ?

2. Is it necessary to book a wine tour or can we just drive up to a vineyard and pick up a tour ? How early do we need to book ?

3. To avoid the ZTL what is the best suggestion - ?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuscanny for 3 nights

If you are flying into Florence, you could just pick a car up at the airport and drive from there. If you are planning on staying in Florence for a few days first, you could then simply train to Arezzo and pick a car up from Avis across from the train station. Either way, you have avoided ZTLs. Also, if your accommodations are outside of the old city of Arezzo, you will also avoid ZTLs.

A wine tour is different than a tasting. Most wine tours you need to book. There are several wineries though that you can simply go and taste their offerings. What area are you planning on going to?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuscanny for 3 nights

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. We can only fly into Rome. So thought of doing Tuscany first - stay in Arezzo - pick up the car there - do San G. and may be a southern province (any suggestions ? )

How much would a wine tour cost on avg. do you know ? Depending on cost we could do a tour or just wine tasting ?

NilNoz

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuscanny for 3 nights

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. We can only fly into Rome. So thought of doing Tuscany first - stay in Arezzo - pick up the car there - do San G. and may be a southern province (any suggestions ? )

How much would a wine tour cost on avg. do you know ? Depending on cost we could do a tour or just wine tasting ?

NilNoz

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuscanny for 3 nights

Here are some wine tours in Chianti:

Verrazzano - very lovely place. Their wine tours vary in price from 14 euros to 110 euros, depending on whether they provide snacks, a meal and transportation.

www.verrazzano.com/en/index.php#nogo

Casa Emma - another great place for wine tasting and with olive oil, etc.

www.casaemma.com

Barone Ricasoli and the Castello di Brolio - offers a variety of tasting and tours from private, with dinner, museum and castle tour. Costs range from 23 euros and up

www.ricasoli.it/?&lang=2

Very near Arezzo is Villa Ripa with wine and olive oil tastings and tours - neat place!

www.villalaripa.it/english/index.php

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
795 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuscanny for 3 nights

Nilnoz- Arezzo to San G is almost two hours by car not a good idea if you want to visit San G. I would suggest stay near Siena for three nights. San G is is 1 hour from Siena.

Get to San G early in the morning so you can get a parking space and than find a wine tour. A

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tuscanny for 3 nights

One more BEAUTIFUL place to go is Vignamaggio

www.vignamaggio.it/english/vignamaggio.html

I wouldn't travel all the way to San Gimignano just to do a wine tour.

Arezzo is right off the A1 autostrada - 1 hour 45 mins to San G.

But there is so much to see, you don't necessarily need to head there.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
795 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tuscanny for 3 nights

San G I think is a little overrated anyways and way too many tourists. There are so many other places near Arezzo such as Cortona.

I am trying to get back there this fall, because I made the mistake of over planning and not allowing myself time on wrong turns. We only saw Cortona for 2 hrs and had to head back to Florence.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,831 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tuscanny for 3 nights

I have to agree, although beautiful S Gimignano is too crowded for my tastes. Cortono is nice. I prefer the area around Montepulciano. We enjoyed Arezzo our last visit to Tuscany, but we prefer smaller towns. We used Chiusi as a place to pickup a rental car and have access to rail.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
795 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tuscanny for 3 nights

glacier - do you have any links to trip reports or any info on your Italy trip? Trying to come up with southern Tuscany ideas. I am looking for places between Pienza, Montepulciano, and La Foce (zig-zag road). I do not want to be too far from the A1 or Chuisi - Thanks

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tuscanny for 3 nights

We are staying in Poggibonsi for a week in september. do you have any ideas for day trips. we are renting a car.