We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maremma, Giglio, Giannutri

Trondheim
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Maremma, Giglio, Giannutri

Hi,

we are staying one week at the Maremma coast in July and would like to find the good beaches (with two kids age 5 and 8), nice villages, places to eat - and the best way to visit the Island of Giannutri. We stay about 20 km inland from Grossetto.

I understand we can not go to Giannutri by car. There are restrictions to the number of tourists, but emailing various park-addresses and tourist informations to make a reservation /apply for entrance has not been fruitful. So if someone could help me:

- how do we apply for entrance /make a reservation if we decide going by the ferry on our own?

- recommendations on full-day boat trips that will allow easy snorkeling with the kids and some time on the island (several stops?). I guess then that tour companies will arrange with needed permissions.

- general tips on good places to visit, coastal or inland, in Maremma are appreciated. With the kids in mind:)

Thanks,

Lillemygg

Rome
Level Contributor
120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maremma, Giglio, Giannutri

Hi Lillemygg, good choice!

Regarding Giannutri, there is actually a limitation on the maximum number of visitors/day (300, if I am not wrong). Basically you must go via one of the tour operators that are authorised to ferry people there; on the website of the Tuscan Islands' Park (Parco nazionale arcipelago toscano) there is information (only in Italian) and a phone number to call (www.islepark.it/index.php…) . Alternatively, you might ferry from Porto Santo Stefano (Argentario) to Giglio Porto (harbour), and from there get on one of the many tours that take visitors to Giannutri. However, these tours usually start at 10/11 AM and you are back by 5 PM, including swimming and possibly a brief shore excursion. You should make sure you have time enough to ferry back to Porto Santo Stefano in the evening, but you could make it. The Roman villa (ruins) on Giannutri is closed to visitors, however.

Some tips: for beaches, Principina a Mare is nice (mouth of Ombrone river); Capalbio (Torba, Burano) south of Argentario is also very nice and kid-friendly; Punta Ala (more to the north) is beautiful (several beaches) but it might be a bit too far depending on where you are based. The Feniglia beach (sand dunes connecting Argentario to mainland) is also nice. For something different: try the Amiata area. Amiata is a volcano (long extinguished), a mountain about 1,700 mt high covered by woods of chestnut-trees. There is a road leading practically to the top, and you could then visit some of the villages like Santa Fiora or Abbadia San Salvatore, or Arcidosso. There were lots of mining pits in this area, and some of them can be visited (tours are organised daily, it is fun). You might also try some of the spas in the area: Saturnia, or maybe Petriolo (depending on where you are based). If you can, go visit Massa Marittima (maybe late in the afternoon, after a day spent on a beach nearby, for instance close to Punta Ala). It truly magical; Montepescali is also nice, smaller and compact with nice views over the Maremma flatlands.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maremma, Giglio, Giannutri

A number of the most interesting sights in the Maremma are described here: http://www.altamaremma.org/

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maremma, Giglio, Giannutri

I've been reading the blog for a while and it seems to have some pretty good information regarding restaurants, sites etc.

http://www.maremmaguide.com/Maremma-blog.html

Trondheim
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maremma, Giglio, Giannutri

Thank you all for great feedback, I will check out tour operators to Giannutri (make a call, I guess), and definitively check all linked information, blogs and the sites that you mention. Volcano area sounds fun too!

- Lillemygg

5. Re: Maremma, Giglio, Giannutri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2013, 05:41