We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just starting to plan....several big questions

Droppin' some NYC
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Just starting to plan....several big questions

Hi there! Just starting to plan for an anniversary trip--traveling over American Thanksgiving.

We are going to spend 4 days in Florence, and then hoping to do 3-4 days in Tuscany. My husband has been to Florence; I've only ever been to Rome. We will rent a car to leave Florence, so here are my questions:

1) Is it too much to try to see: Lucca, Pisa, San G, Volterra, San Miniato (going on a Saturday morning for the truffle hunts!), Montepulciano, and Greve in one trip--spread over 3-4 days? How would you break it up?

2) Ideally, we would stay in one location and do day trips. Is there a central location you'd recommend? Siena?

3) Any particular lodging recommendations?

Thanks in advance--I know this is really broad!

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,560 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just starting to plan....several big questions

Your question is difficult. I have some opinions.

You could do that, but we would consider it to be too much rushing around.

We would certainly want to find one place to stay in the area for all three nights. Any of your towns will offer many nice places to stay if you search on 'town accommodations".

Even then, after finding a beautiful place, I would not try to do so much in three days. You want something more than you could get from post cards.

If you do the on-line searches, then you will find a lot (LOT) of nice places, depending on your budget, use the T/A reviews. I offer one idea: Our experience has been that the web site presentations of Italian accommodations are almost always good, fair presentations of what you actually find when you get there. The only exception we have found was at the Hotel Paris in Florence - nowhere else.

You should have a wonderful vacation if you just don't spend too much time rushing about.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just starting to plan....several big questions

Hi P.S....sounds like a great anniversary! We just returned from our 20th in that region.

I would agree with roadgard, it seems rushed to me (copy and paste, if it doesn't make a link):

maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Florence,+Italy&daddr=Pisa,+Italy+to:San+Gimignano,+Italia+to:Volterra,+Italy+to:San+Miniato,+Italy+to:Montepulciano,+Siena,+Italy+to:Greve+in+Chianti,+Firenze,+Italy&hl=en&ll=43.504737,11.071472&spn=1.065778,2.614746&sll=43.50422,11.07002&sspn=1.065778,2.614746&geocode=FZnkmwIdgaGrACmt1tKAplYqEzEDKsfvF3nVkw%3BFVcomwIdmbeeACmPWfbwmpHVEjHIeISntQ-4qg%3BFXBDlwIdo4KoAClva0QxODwqEzGRRPVSVPVOTA%3BFeM4lgIdcc2lACnRCSP-QxoqEzEh02FkPYTiLg%3BFZSMmgId0KKlACklUePrN24qEzG3ChEjbNzo8A%3BFemNkQIdp72zACkHs-qrBFwpEzGSPy1mfma9zw%3BFVgGmQIdmrWsAClBNgrzFksqEzFeyDbRYzWdGg&oq=grev&gl=us&mra=ls&t=m&z=9

I see two trips there, one to the west and one to the south. I would pick one and focus on that....or extend your days!

-Karl

Edited: 30 July 2012, 01:10
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,366 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just starting to plan....several big questions

Karl, when you make the Googlemap, look for the little link icon top left centre, click on that and then on small url and it will give you a clickable link.

I agree that the north west trip of Pisa,Lucca and then more central Tuscany.

And I would drive from Florence to Pisa, parking outside the dreaded ZTL area, then on to Lucca and stay overnight. Then take off for Siena, visiting tiny Monteriggione for lunch maybe. Explore Siena that afternoon/evening and do some touring the next two days, returning to base in Siena.

I don't normally recommend a one night stay but I think in this case it may be a good idea.

Nick's Tips

http://www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ZTL.htm

www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ItalyDrive.htm

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just starting to plan....several big questions

Thanks so much Lynn for the "short URL" tip! I clicked on the link to get the original URL, but didn't see the "short url" checkbox. Here, alorra, it is:

http://goo.gl/maps/3xWie

:)

-K

Droppin' some NYC
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just starting to plan....several big questions

Thank you all SO much! Karl, that map is VERY helpful; much better than the 6 different windows I had open on my browser!

Looks like we'll save Montepulciano and Greve for another trip--oh shucks, we'll have to come back:-)

Lynn, that definitely looks doable. We're not really a stay for one night type either, but it might just make sense here. The one part I am not willing to miss is the truffle fair in San Miniato on Saturday the 24th!

Thanks, all. You've helped me start to narrow down. Now on to accomodations.

6. Re: Just starting to plan....several big questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2013, 10:16