We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Location for 2 days of wine and food

Salt Lake City, Utah
1 post
Save Topic
Best Location for 2 days of wine and food

We are spending 3 days in Florence. After that we want to rent a car and spend 2 days leisurely exploring the food and wine country outside of Florence. After these 2 days we go to Cinque Terre, then Milan. Any suggestions for our 2 day excursion - is it best to go toward Sienna or more to the north?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Location for 2 days of wine and food

Hi GBH,

welcome to Tripadvisor! Your question has a thousand answers all correct and all particular to the tastes of the person answering. There are SO MANY great places to stay in Tuscany.

But, since you asked, I'll put in my 2 cents. I would stay in Southern Tuscany and explore the Val D'Orcia. Great food, AMAZING wine and spectacular scenery! Here is a photo from a trip we recently did there (in May):

flickr.com/photos/…

more here:

flickr.com/photos/…

Just driving around the back roads in that area was jaw-droppingly beautiful at every turn! Avoid the highways, stick to the squiggly roads on the map.

As for where to stay...there are so many options. We stayed at Agriturismo Il Molinello and had a wonderful time! It served as a perfect base for exploring that region. Sandro, his wife, their kids and the grandparents are experts on the region, as well as its history, wine & food!

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g644269-d579173…

I have also had friends who stayed closer to Montepulciano at Agriturismo Il Palazzo dei Diavoli, and enjoyed it very much as well:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g194833-d205855…

Either of these (among others) would give you more of a sense of living in the Tuscan countryside, and you could still visit Montalcino, Montepulciano & surrounding wineries quite easily from there.

-Karl

Edited: 08 August 2012, 05:46
Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Location for 2 days of wine and food

I recommend Montepulciano and a stay within the city walls to enjoy your dinner/wine and don't have to drive after it.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Location for 2 days of wine and food

Me too!

4. Re: Best Location for 2 days of wine and food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 12:16