We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ground Travel Florence to Cortona

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
910 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Ground Travel Florence to Cortona

We will be leaving Florence, headed for Cortona for 2 days in May (on a Tuesday). From there, I plan to rent a car and drive “leisurely” to Montepulciano for 3 days that includes some day trips into the countryside (Pienza, Montacino, etc). Finally we drive to Orvieto, where we drop the car and spend 2 nights “on the rock” before heading to Rome via the train.

I need advice on getting from Florence to Cortona. We will each have one carry-on bag (with wheels).

One option is to rent the car in Florence and drive to Cortona but I will just park it for 2 days - seems a bit wasteful.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ground Travel Florence to Cortona

Take the train.

www.trenitalia.com

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
241 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ground Travel Florence to Cortona

The only reason I would ever advise against the train is if you don't feel like you can easily manipulate your luggage. Some of the train stairs can be steep, but there are only three of them so its not that bad. The aisles are narrow, too, so you may not be able to roll them down the aisle the usual way (hopefully they roll sideways like the newer wheels do?). But it IS totally doable. I did it this past April on several train rides.

One tip: you'll see people say 1st class is not worth it on the train ride, but with luggage I disagree. You get an assigned seat in the 1st class cabin and there's room between seats to stow large suitcases, which takes a LOT of the stress off hurring up those steps to try to claim a spot in the 2nd class cabin. You don't have to feel rushed and can take the steps slowly and leisurely make your way to your seat, stepping out of people's way who are trying to get through and not worry that you'll have to stand or won't have a spot for your bag nearby.

jessica

onedayinitaly.com

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ground Travel Florence to Cortona

All of the trains between Florence and Camucia-Cortona are unreserved regionale trains for which there are NO assigned seats, in EITHER first or second class!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ground Travel Florence to Cortona

The class of travel makes no difference to whether there are reserved seats.

On the Regionale trains, NONE of the seats are reserved. On all other trains, ALL of the seats are reserved. This applies to all classes.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
241 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ground Travel Florence to Cortona

During my last trip the second class seats were "unreserved / standing room only" and the first class cabin had reserved seats. I'm not speaking for all trains, but from Verona to Venice that was definitely the case.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,150 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ground Travel Florence to Cortona

Don't know when your last trip was. But there are no trains in Italy in which first class has reserved seats and second class does not. And there haven't been for some years.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,658 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ground Travel Florence to Cortona

Assuming you can manage your luggage take the train to Cortona-Camucia and then the bus up to Cortona itself.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
910 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ground Travel Florence to Cortona

thanks everyone. The TRAIN it is!

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
910 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ground Travel Florence to Cortona

Here is the updated itinerary: We will be departing Florence headed to Camucia via train and taking a bus up to Cortona where we will spend 2 nights enjoying the city.

Then, bus down to Camucia and train to Chiusi where we plan to rent a car. We plan to drive around Tuscany that day arriving in Montepulciano for 3 nights. A couple of day trips to places like Pienza, Montalcino, etc are included for those 3 days.

Finally, we drive back to Chiusi, drop the car and take the train south to Orvieto for 2 days.

This minimizes the rental car time and maximizes public transportation, which we enjoy.

10. Re: Ground Travel Florence to Cortona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2013, 10:15