We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuscany trip help

Trenton, New Jersey
9 posts
Save Topic
Tuscany trip help

Hi, I am going to Tuscany in November for my honeymoon. I really want to go see a soccer game in Florence they have a home game on the 18th I would like to go to. What is the best way to get tickets?

Also we have a couple of winery trips planed but are their any other MUST do's while we are out there? We are staying pretty much at the half way point between Florence and Sienna

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,632 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuscany trip help

I know you posted this a few days ago and didn't get any replies. It is not that I don't want to help, but I really don't know the answer to the first part (but would imagine you could easily find out by searching the net) and the second part of your question is so huge.

I really don't believe in must-sees. There is so much to see and do in Tuscany and we all have different tastes, so there really is nothing for it, but to get yourself a decent guide book and see what appeals to you. Of course, the weather may well impact on what you can do at that time of year and also what kind of transport you will have. It is just too big a question with too many unknowns to give you a meaningful answer.

Trenton, New Jersey
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuscany trip help

Thank you for your reply. I know it was a broad question, sorry about that, just looking for maybe a hidden jem. We will have a car so we will definitely do Florence and Siena, and we are so open we may go up into Austria and Switzerland (it is a 2 week honeymoon). It is getting close and we getting excited.

Thank you again for your response. I was looking on the net for tickets just there are so many didn't know if anyone had a certain site that they could trust.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,632 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuscany trip help

Ok well if you are going to have a car then make sure you know all about the ZTLs that most towns and cities operate. The one in Siena is fairly easy to avoid, but Florence's is not, so you would be well advised to drive to a train station and train in or drive to the tram at Scandicci and take that into the centre. Also it sounds as though you will be there after the 15th November so make sure you have arrange to have snow chains provided with the car as these are a legal requirement on many main roads after this date, but the hire companies do not always provide them as a matter of course. If you don't already know all about this stuff then read more here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c140065/Tusca…

You will be well placed to visit the Chianti towns such as Greve, Radda, Panzano and Castellina. If the weather is bad then you might want to spend more than a day in Florence and Siena, but Arezzo, Cortona and San Gimignano also have a few indoor attractions. Actually November will be a great time to visit San Gimignano as the masses of tourist buses should have abated by then. Enjoy your honeymoon.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuscany trip help

It's a long drive to Austria or Switzerland, and there are often large fees for dropping off a rental car in a different country from where you picked it up. If you want to see the Alps, maybe you should stick to the Italian Alps.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuscany trip help

Sorry, can't help you with the soccer tickets...

A couple of suggestions:

You had said you are staying between Florence and Siena...like close to Arrezzo? Florence is a wonderful city, but it is a pain in the butt to drive and park in! My recommendation would be to park your car (like in Arrezzo) or whatever else is close to you and take the train into Florence SMN. It is the heart of the city and an easy walk to everything you want to see. Again not knowing where you are staying...a couple of off the beaten path stops...Civitella in Val di Chiana is a very cool (un-touristy) place.

http://www.val-di-chiana.com/civitella.htm

For an other-wordly experience go to Sant' Antimo Abbey an hour south of Siena...10 miles from Montalcino. The monks come in from the fields several times a day to sing their prayers in the church...stunning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrjGDzQ4tEw

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187902-d2…

Trenton, New Jersey
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tuscany trip help

Wow thank you guys so much. Especially about the driving tips! I will look over everything! feel free to add if you think of anything else. Such a huge help.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
104 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tuscany trip help

Good idea above about Sant Antimo it is south of Montalcino so you could do both in a day. You should also consider Monte Oliveto Maggiore, which is about 30 minutes south of Siena. IN the first week of October we drove from our villa just outside Siena to Monte Oliveto Maggiore, then to Montepulciano for lunch, and then walked down the hill from Montepulciano to San Biagio, a beatuiful church just outside Montepulciano. That was a full day for us, but you could easily add a stop in Pienza after Monte Oliveto Maggiore and before Montepulciano as it is on the way. The view coming into Montepulciano from Pienza is among the best in Italy and I highly recommend the drive.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tuscany trip help

I love Switzerland, but if it were me and I really wanted to add it to my itinerary on a honeymoon, I would take a train to get there. They go almost everywhere. We drove from Montepulciano to Val Gardena last October and loved it. It is as much Austrian as it is Italian. It is mostly autostrada until you get off to head up the valley. Then it is winding, and it could have snow in November. I always suggest not trying to do too much, but it is your first visit and your honeymoon. Get a calendar and map out your two weeks acounting for travel time and how much time you want to spend in Rome, Florence and the Tuscan countryside. You do not have a lot of time, but you can fly from Rome to other places like Geneva and back to Rome on Easyjet if cheap seats are still available. I included Amsterdam on Easyjet while visiting Italy. I had three weeks on my trip.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,779 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tuscany trip help

# 5 - Love Civitella in Val di Chiana! Too few people consider going there but it's a gem. Post # 7 - more than once I've come across people taking in that view of Montepulciano from the Pienza road and almost weeping at the sight. It's particularly beautiful in the late afternoon when the sun makes the town and the dome of San Biagio glow like gold. Another simply sensational view is from the San Quirico / Pienza road, again in the afternoon especially looking south west. Also second both Monte Olivetto and Sant'Antimo. Both very different, both truly spiritual experiences, both worth a detour.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tuscany trip help

Great to hear from another Civitella fan! We discovered it when we stayed at a great Agriturismo near there...

http://www.foresteria.it/

And you are right...it absolutely is a gem.

Edited: 17 October 2012, 00:48