We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Florence & 5 days in Rome..

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in Florence & 5 days in Rome..

Hello!

I'm trying to plan a trip to Italy in May for my mother & me. We were thinking of flying into Rome first, taking a few half day guided tours there, possibly a day trip to Pompeii, then taking the train to Florence. In Florence, we would like to take a few small tours and maybe a day trip to Lucca/Pisa.. is this doable? Will we be missing out on anything just going to two major places??

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,361 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Florence & 5 days in Rome..

Duplicate post: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k59801…

Edited: 24 December 2012, 17:37
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,361 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Florence & 5 days in Rome..

The edit button didn't work in time, its a duplicate post as in same question but different Forum.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Florence & 5 days in Rome..

You're doing just the right thing: resisting the urge to pack too much in. Face it, you would be missing things even if you were to spend a lifetime here (trust me!) Personally, I could spend the whole time right here in Florence, with a couple of excursions into the surrounding area... But that's just me. Whatever you do, be sure to allow yourselves time to just "be" here, savor the place and breathe it in. You can always come back!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,162 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in Florence & 5 days in Rome..

5 nights is a perfect introduction to these two places -- you could easily spend the whole time in either profitably -- but 5 nights gives you 4 full days in each place which will let you see and do much

I would suggest if you are flying in and out of Rome to start the trip in Florence and finish in Rome -- Florence is just 90 minutes on the train, so arrive in Rome and train immediately to Florence -- you can buy your train ticket at the FCO train station and then you don't have to worry about a late plane -- they will sell you the ticket for the train you can make easily

This way you use up part of that wasted first jet lag day getting to Florence and getting situated (and since planes arrive very early from the states, by the time you get to Florence your hotel will be ready for you -- whereas in Rome you are too early to check in) This was you don't have a trip back to Rome to get the plane which wastes a day at the end of the trip.

If you are flying back out of Florence/Pisa then ignore this advice.

I would do no more than one day trip from Florence and spend the rest of your time there on some of what florence has to offer -- and I would make that a day trip by bus on your own to Siena (but you could also do Pisa and/or Lucca by train)

For Rome, consider either a day trip to Ostia Antica (easy by public transport) or to Tivoli (Hadrian's villa ruins and Villa d'Este -- cool but a little more complicated to do)

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
5. Re: 5 days in Florence & 5 days in Rome..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2013, 10:17