We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Zaccagnini Montepulciano bottle EVER!!!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,317 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Best Zaccagnini Montepulciano bottle EVER!!!

Well, it just tastes so much better right after booking.

Flights are booked although much earlier than originally planned. Flying to Florence Late June, out of Rome 12 days later. Got nothing else booked so far. Let the research commence..

(psssss, who are the foodies on this board)

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,738 reviews
from US$112.60*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,322 reviews
from US$122.60*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,093 reviews
from US$112.60*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
303 reviews
from US$100.10*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,897 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Zaccagnini Montepulciano bottle EVER!!!

Hi again - I love food but I don't consider myself a foodie because I've never really quite grasped that it meant anything more than being someone who loves good food made with fresh ingredients (which is what Italian food made well is all about) done well - In Italy, I don't look for the unusual, new twists on their foods - as here in NYC. It's Italian food all the time, everywhere for the most part. I also never plan my means for the most part there, just sort of mooch around, follow my nose and eat where looks good to me; so far, after many trips, so good.

But - I'm sure you will get lots of responses from folks here.

But - there are two food blogs that you might want to take a gander at:

http://www.elizabethminchilliinrome.com

[Hers is the one I find of more interest than the one below]

http://parlafood.com

Right now, it's almost physically hurting not being there for the artichokes (and the countless amazing ways they use them) and the fava beans -

The Emilia-Romagna region (Bologna/Parma/Modena/Ferrara/etc) are great towns/region to explore for food.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Zaccagnini Montepulciano bottle EVER!!!

We love food (and wine, coffee, etc.), so if that makes us foodies, I guess we are. We especially love special places, not known to hoardes of tourists. Unlike MomCat, I do extensive research on places to eat, have a coffee, a drink, etc. We've had many fantastic experiences over the years.

I enjoy both blogs MomCat has recommended. I also scour ChowHound.

I would be happy to share foodie finds with you when you determine where you will be.

Edited: 04 March 2013, 15:12
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,317 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Zaccagnini Montepulciano bottle EVER!!!

Thanks to you both. Even though I participated in Chowhound sometimes I sort of forgot about it for this purpose.

I'm actually familiar with Parla already and have been following for some time. Got a good New Orleans reco from her (Boucherie). I see that she writes about drinking a lot lately. Hope she's ok ;)

I sort of agree with both of your styles as far as Italy goes. You can get amazing unplanned meals just about anywhere. But what else am I gonna do the next 4 months but research food ;)

After much deliberation I booked Villa Grazianella near Acquaviva. Anyone familiar?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,897 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Zaccagnini Montepulciano bottle EVER!!!

I've only one rule in Italy - I do not eat on any of main squares or right near popular sites (for the most part; of course, there are always exceptions but unless I already know a place is good very close to a popular site, I stay further afield) -

Sorry - don't know your villa - Are you staying there for the duration of your trip?

Oh, took a peek! Looks really spectacular - just beautiful.

Edited: 04 March 2013, 19:45
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,317 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Zaccagnini Montepulciano bottle EVER!!!

Just for the 5 day Tuscan leg. Got 3 days in Florence and 4 in Rome. I havent booked anything else. Looking for food tours now ;)

Yes, it looks really nice. Not as centered in that area as I was hoping but I couldnt pass on it

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Zaccagnini Montepulciano bottle EVER!!!

Zig. I would expect that most of the regulars on this forum are sort of "foodies", with respect to italian food.

Allow me to offer just one thought, based on a fair experience of Northern Italy:

You may generally assume that you are going to eat very well, exceptionally well. Also assume that generally, the house wines will be very good examples of the local product. Those two assumptions are especially strong in smaller towns.

I have only two negative thoughts, based on our experience, and some of the fellow travelers may disagree with me.

In Rome and Venice, you are more likely to find restaurants that are not traditional Italian establishments, possibly not run or operated or staffed by Italians. In those places, you are more likely to get weaker food and service. So do a little research for those two towns.

In any real Italian owned and operated restaurant, trattoria, osteria, pizzeria, cafe, the owner and the staff want you to have a wonderful and comfortable experience. Food and food service are important to Italians, and they know that their regular customers are knowledgable and critical of details. We have had only a few unsatisfactory dining experiences. Two places in Venice, both recommended by hotels; two restaurants in Rome that we just stumbled into; and two pizzerias in Florence, both recommended by well-known guide books. Aside from that, especially in Florence and smaller towns, eating out in Italy has been a marvelous experience. it has made a foodie of me.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,897 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Zaccagnini Montepulciano bottle EVER!!!

You will really enjoy enjoy the Campo de'Fiori market....go before around 1 p.m. as they start to take it down for the day around 2p.m.(ish)

You will want to scoop everything up and find a kitchen - it is a glorious thing.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,317 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Zaccagnini Montepulciano bottle EVER!!!

Is it as good as our Chelsea market ;)

looking so forward to that. I still dream about the seafood market in Venice.

roadgard, I liked what you said, especially at the end. Our North Italy experience has totally changed the way we think about Italian food. Someone already asked me "why are you taking your kids to Italy again? Dont you want them to experience other cultures?" NO!!! ;) They'll have plenty of time to visit the rest of them. And besides if I have to tell them the real reason they wouldn't understand. They need to visit the market in Venice to understand

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,897 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Zaccagnini Montepulciano bottle EVER!!!

Oh my, much much (did I say "much?") better than the Chelsea market but then I think you might be pulling my leg, no?

There's also an incredible little cheese shop (lateria) I finally found after a zillion visits right nearby (I had an apt in Campo de'fiori for a few weeks in December) that I couldn't stay out of and brought back a number of different amazing cheeses (no fresh cheeses which you can't bring back like mozzarella and some others) - they vacuum pack them and well, heaven at home.

I am always so heartbroken that we are not allowed to bring back the salamis, proscuitto, and the many others types of amazing things they do with dried meats. Oh, well, just another reason to return.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,317 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Zaccagnini Montepulciano bottle EVER!!!

"I think you might be pulling my leg, no?" You are correct.

I always feel bad for the tourists visiting Chelsea expecting a real market.

Thanks for the Lateria tip. Cant wait