We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some pointers needed for first visit to Tuscany Region

Athlone, Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Some pointers needed for first visit to Tuscany Region

The family and I plan to make a trip to Tuscany within the next twelve months, myself and hubby plus 2 early teens, however, we need some advice as the more I read about the area, the more confused I am becoming.......

1. Where should we base ourselves?

I have read the other posts that recommed a car, however, we will not be doing so. We need to be near a town with bus or rail connections (ideally) near the coast, as will do some day trips possibly Siena, Pisa & Florence

2. Our first choice would be for residence style accomodation with a swiming pool for the teenagers, beach location would be a bonus in addition to this. We would like to be able to walk to resturants. Budget is mid range, but if really nice may be able to push the boat out.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some pointers needed for first visit to Tuscany Region

I was all ready to recommend Lucca as a base for your visit, until I got to requirement number 2. Lucca is a lovely little city, with easy train connections to Pisa and Florence. Siena would take longer, but it could be done. However, Lucca is a medieval walled town; it's not very near a beach, and there are no villas with swimming pools there. Finding a villa with a swimming pool in a beach town, that's also near a train station, makes your task very difficult.

It's very easy to find villas with swimming pools in Tuscany, but most of them are in locations that aren't convenient for public transportation.

Another consideration is that Tuscany is not really known for its beaches. There are beaches, and they're very popular (and mostly very crowded), but if your main interest is beaches, I'd go to Sardegna, Puglia, or Le Marche.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,353 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some pointers needed for first visit to Tuscany Region

Have a read of this article about choosing a base:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c128287/Tusca…

You really do need to be in a city to have the kind of public transport links you want. If you want a villa with a pool you will need a car. Be aware of how much the cost of using Italian beaches can add to your holiday, especially in high season. Great free beaches tend to be in remote areas (again you'd need the car).

I fear you are going to have to make some compromises.

United States
Level Contributor
9,587 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some pointers needed for first visit to Tuscany Region

Lucca is about 30 minutes by train from Viareggio which has a beautiful sand beach.

You can look at several rental sites for Lucca and the surrounding areas and find villa/apartments with pools. Here is just one listing: knowital.com/tuscany/…rental.html

And another: knowital.com/tuscany/…villa1.html

VRBO may be another source for rentals with pools (www.vrbo.com) and also Not Ordinary Ways (http://www.notordinaryways.com)

TAB

4. Re: Some pointers needed for first visit to Tuscany Region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 April 2013, 00:35
5. Re: Some pointers needed for first visit to Tuscany Region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 06:18