We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuscany and Cinque Terra with Walnut Allergy

Beaumont, Alberta...
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Tuscany and Cinque Terra with Walnut Allergy

I am going to Tuscany and the Cinque Terra. I have a severe allergy to Walnuts, but I'm unable to find a tranlsation in italian simply for walnut. I can only find Nocce for nut. Is there a word to use just for a walnut specifically?

Also, I know to watch out for pesto as it often contains walnuts instead or with pine nuts. Can anyone tell me of any other dishes to stay clear from? I don't trust menu's to have all ingredients listed, even if I do know the word walnut.

I don't want to end up ordering margherita pizza the whole time just so I feel safe. But I have been caught with walntus in just plain 'ol lasanga even in Canada.

Thanks in advance!

New York
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuscany and Cinque Terra with Walnut Allergy

I have severe tree nut allergies as well as several other foods. Every allergist and immunologist I've ever seen has always said if you're allergic to one tree nut you can react to all so I'm a bit surprised you only stay away from walnuts. That being said I highly recommend you stay away from all nuts in Italy and bring translation cards with you that you can find online, especially if visiting the CT.

Last time I was in the CT I was in a restaurant that I couldn't even eat plain pasta with tomato sauce. It turned out that the walnut ravioli was boiled in the same water as the plain pasta. They kept a huge pot on the stove of boiling water and the pasta/ravioli was cooked in it for each order. Had I not had the translation cards that were given to the waiter who brought them to the chef I would have never known and probably would have stopped breathing had I eaten the plain pasta.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuscany and Cinque Terra with Walnut Allergy

Walnuts are used here in many things, specifically in the walnut sauce that is popular in the region, that many restaurants have on their menu. Also, keep in mind that almost every restaurant uses the same boiler for all the types of pasta, so if you see it on a menu, you should probably avoid anything boiled.

Noce is walnut, plural noci. Salsa di noci is walnut sauce, desserts, and so forth can contain this nut, depending on where you go, but it's common in the CT and Tuscany.

If your allergy also includes peanuts, keep in mind that peanut oil is used also in the majority of places for deep frying, where in the US and Canada, it's unheard of to still use peanut oil because so many people have such severe allergies to it...here it is still very common.

Beaumont, Alberta...
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuscany and Cinque Terra with Walnut Allergy

We're you able to find places that didn't have any kind of nut on the menu? Was ordering pizza a problem? I'm not sure what to eat besides prepackaged foods now. Does it even seem possible to get by there with such an allergy?

New York
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuscany and Cinque Terra with Walnut Allergy

I have been to Italy several times. As a matter of fact I'm leaving tomorrow for 3 weeks!! There is plenty of choices. Not only am I allergic to all nuts I am also allergic to shellfish (so you can imagine in the Cinque Terre). The key to "success" is to let the waiter know in advance and they will tell you if there is something you cannot eat. I have preprinted cards (size of credit card) listing my allergies in both English & Italian. I even use them when I order my gelato to be sure I don't order the wrong flavor. The people are so careful when you let them know about the allergies they even get a fresh scooper for the gelato without me having to ask. I promise you will have so many choices of food you will not know what to pick!! Go and enjoy...

New York
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuscany and Cinque Terra with Walnut Allergy

Btw... in Italy I eat pizza, pasta, fish (not shell), grilled vegetables, meat, chicken, caprese salad, parma & melon, pastries, breads, gelato, etc.. etc... Plenty to eat!!!

Edited: 17 May 2013, 05:18
Beaumont, Alberta...
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tuscany and Cinque Terra with Walnut Allergy

What did you have written on your cards??

Google translate tells me "Io sono allegerico alle noci"

7. Re: Tuscany and Cinque Terra with Walnut Allergy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 06:19