We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roads in Tuscany

Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Roads in Tuscany

Five of us will be driving from Rome to the Arezzo region of Tuscany. We'll need either 2 cars or a van as we will all have large suitcases. Once at our rental villa we will only need one vehicle so the van is our initial thought but we're wondering if it will be difficult to navigate the roads in a van. We will be driving to Siena and several other hill towns and we were wondering if the roads are narrow and winding or wide and easy to drive on. We'd really appreciate some input on this.

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,263 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roads in Tuscany

A large vehicle is a real nuisance in Tuscany. Many roads are narrow, but the main issue is navigating around ancient towns and villages in a large vehicle which is NOT recommended.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Roads in Tuscany

Two cars is much better but actually it all depends on just where exactly you are going. I live just outside of Arezzo and most of the roads around there are fine so long as you stay out of the old walled portion which most is a ZTL anyway.

If most of your driving is along autostrada and superstrada, then a van is OK, so long as it is more like a minivan vs. one of the big Ducato ambulance-looking things. Parking can be an issue as well. If it is within outdoor lots, then you are generally fine, but those covered parking lots can be a real nuisance with tight turns. Many roads, yes are narrow and winding and sometimes you can pass through a village where it seems like a building wall is just inches off of your sideview mirrors. If first time visitors and first time drivers in Italy, I think I would suggest the two cars.

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roads in Tuscany

I have been renting a Ford Galaxy the past two times we had five adults. The back two seats fold down for plenty of luggage storage,

The tuscan roads are fine but I find parallel parking to be an issue on a hill with a stick shift. Two cars means two parking places which can be a problem in some hill towns

I have been using this company the fast 4 years with great success

http://www.car-rental-italy.net/

The L class usually costs me around 130 per day

http://www.car-rental-italy.net/7mini.php

4. Re: Roads in Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:59
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Roads in Tuscany

I would recommend www.autoeurope.com for best rates

Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roads in Tuscany

We are staying outside of castiglione fiorentino in the Arezzo region. we'll probably rent 2 cars or maybe the galaxy. I think driving a van on the tight streets might be too stressful!

Thank you all so much for the info and for the car rental sites.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roads in Tuscany

Most of the hill towns you can't drive into. You park outside the walls or the village and walk in. If you're staying inside some of the towns you may be allowed to drive in to unload your luggage. There are vans and buses running all over Tuscany but not inside the towns.

8. Re: Roads in Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 05:16