We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best base in between rome and florence

Auckland Region...
7 posts
Save Topic
Best base in between rome and florence

We are a couple travelling to Italy in July. We will have a few nights in rome and then plan to hire a car and drive to florence for a few nights. Where would be a good place to base ourselves in between rome and florence to explore surrounding areas? We are thinking montepulciano-would this be good or are there other better places?

We are in our mid 30's travelling without children.

Edited: 07 June 2013, 23:20
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best base in between rome and florence

It would really depend on your own interests and tastes. I myself prefer Montalcino, but many others prefer Montepulciano. Other possibilities would be Pienza or Orvieto. I suggest you read up on the area, and maybe search for some pictures of the towns.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best base in between rome and florence

Felicity,

This may help slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best base in between rome and florence

Pienza is easier to get in and out of as it's so much smaller than Montepulciano, and it's also perfectly positioned for exploring southern Tuscany. Lots of options for accommodation in all price brackets (B&B in the village centre is available this summer from as little as Euros 45 / night for two with breakfast), plus a wide range of good places to eat. This would be my first choice. Montalcino is a lovely village but I'm not so sure it makes such a good base as it's perched up on top of the hill. Do go there though for it's very charming.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,939 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best base in between rome and florence

Do not even *think* of trying to drive in Florence. The historic centre is closed to visitors' cars, but there are many posts from people who have accidentally driven into this area, or in a bus lane, and have been hit with multiple €100 tickets months later.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best base in between rome and florence

I must admit that we got a little tired of the hill in the four days we stayed in Montalcino; but we loved the town.

6. Re: Best base in between rome and florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 05:18