We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent earthquakes

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Recent earthquakes

In the past few days there have been several earthquakes with an epicenter near Lucca: the largest was 5.2 on the Richter scale, on Friday the 21st of June a little after noon. No serious damage has been reported; the trains into the Garfagnana were halted for a while on Friday.

1. Re: Recent earthquakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 July 2013, 02:34
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
121 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent earthquakes

We were in our apartment in Lucca when it hit. It sounded like a train rumbling. Quite the exciting experience!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent earthquakes

There were also numerous smaller quakes in the days before the bigger one, which the Italian media are calling at 5.2.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,889 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent earthquakes

http://cnt.rm.ingv.it/

You can follow seismic activity on the Italian peninsula via the above site, I often find myself checking it if I think I've felt the floor move. We haven't felt anything in the last couple of days this far south but we did feel Aquila in 2009 (a clear indication of just how powerful that was), and everyone still remembers September 1997 during the massive Umbria / Marche quake. I'm sure many people have seen the state even today of many buildings in Assisi in the wake of that one but it had an impact in this area too, in particular on the duomo in Pienza. BV - do you know the seismic risk rating of your village in Abruzzo? We're supposedly 3 (lowish risk) but in some official documents I've also seen references to category 2, which is a bit scary when you live in a house as old as ours and the bill to reinforce it further runs into the hundreds of thousands of Euros. I have friends in Umbria who, like many in California and Japan, have a plan in place in case of an earthquake and even instruct guests as to what to do / where the "safe" places are (under wooden tables / beds). They keep torches under beds, bottles of water, even a whistle. I guess you can never be too prepared.

Edited: 24 June 2013, 10:37
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent earthquakes

I'm in Le Marche, not Abruzzo. My husband is an engineer, and he has done many studies of buildings to confirm their ability to resist earthquakes. The earthquakes of 1997/1998 kept him very busy for years, because he was the technical expert on the reconstruction of many sites of public interest. I leave all that to him!

We've only felt one small quake since then. The big one in Abruzzo we didn't notice for some reason, but we saw lamps swinging at the times of some of the aftershocks.

6. Re: Recent earthquakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 06:20