We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day in Tuscany

Manila
Level Contributor
55 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
1 Day in Tuscany

Dear All,

My family and I (there are five of us) will be in Florence from October 27 - November 4. As we will be based in Florence during our entire stay, we would like to take a day trip to explore the Tuscan region. Based on my research, it seems that I've narrowed down my priority destinations in Tuscany to Montepulciano and Montalcino. We plan to rent a car for the day.

Hoping it won't be too much trouble, I have a few questions below to which I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on.

1. How far is the drive to Montepulciano from Florence by car? Through what I've researched online, the total drive is about 1 hour and 15 mins. Is this accurate?

2. In Montepulciano, we plan to take a vineyard / winery tour in Avignonese at about 10 am. What are your thoughts on this? Do you have other recommendations for vineyard / winery tours?

3. The tour in Avignonese ends at around 12 noon and we hope to be able to have lunch in a good local restaurant in Montepulciano. What I have in mind so far is Osteria Acquacheta. Is this okay?

4. After lunch, around 2 or 2:30 pm, we plan to drive to Montalcito. No plans here except to see the place. Do you have recommendations on must do's or must experience when in Montalcino?

5. While we would like to limit ourselves to Montepulciano and Montalcino, based on the map, Siena, Chianti and San Gimignano are both on the way back up to Florence. Is there time to see these places even just for awhile? Or which should I see of the three towns I've mentioned?

We would like to experience Tuscany in its truest. And of course, see the fantastic views of what we have imagined Tuscany to be care of some of the popular Hollywood movies and a few postcards.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

UK
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Day in Tuscany

According to ViaMichelin the optimistic driving time from the centre of Florence to Montepulciano is 1hr 44min. From Montepulciano to Montalcino it is 55min and from Montalcino back direct to Florence is 2hrs 5min.

Have you read up about ZTLs as these need careful thought when planning your day?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Day in Tuscany

Avignonesi is out in the countryside and really much closer to Cortona than Montepulicano. So you really will not have seen Montepulciano at all if the only thing you do is the vineyard tour.

I don't think you have enough time to do another location. Things appear closer on the map then they really are.

ZTLs by the way, in each of these locations are easily avoided by staying outside the historical center or ancient walls. Parking is readily available outside the walls.

UK
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Day in Tuscany

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k444…

Manila
Level Contributor
55 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Day in Tuscany

Thanks for all your replies. :)

5. Re: 1 Day in Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 05:17