We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for the right village

Toronto
Level Contributor
228 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for the right village

We are thinking about going next summer (august) with 3 kids 4-10

A number of years ago we stayed outside of Uzes in western Provence and fell in love:

- Small village, easy to walk around and explore

- Great restaurants that were child friendly

- evening entertainment - buskers

- near great day trips

Just a general old world feel - hard to put words to it but I am hoping for some suggestions in Tuscany of which villages might similar so I can start my villa search

Much appreciated as always

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for the right village

Lucignano in Val di Chiana.

Toronto
Level Contributor
228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for the right village

Much thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,255 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for the right village

Lucignano is about half the size of Uzes.....Montepulciano is bigger than Uzes but, accordingly there is more to see / do. Both Lucignano and Montepulciano are hill towns while Uzes isn't "perched."

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for the right village

When you've access to everything you need or you require in a smallish area is perfect, isn't it?

Sometimes readers can get confused if the sizes became an issue...

albuquerque
Level Contributor
967 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for the right village

Lucca has a feel that is much like Uzes, though I must say I generally find the markets in the south of France to be more appealing than those in Italy. Lucca is a great spot for kids. They can ride bikes up on the wall, there is a great carousel in P. Napoleone, many restaurants, quite child friendly. It's also flat, unlike many of the hill towns, and so is easy to walk around. Buskers many nights, especially in P. San Michele. Great gelato !

The train station offers good connections to Florence, Pisa, the coast, and other small villages.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,220 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for the right village

We have stayed at Uzes, L'Isle sur la Sorgue and Sablet. We found Sablet a bit small for our tastes, not enough restaurants and no market for example though a gorgeous spot and closer to some of the less visited areas such as Mt Ventoux, Vaison la Romain, Gigondas etc.

Next year we will go back to L'Isle sur la Sorgue. Enough shops, a twice weekly market, lots of cafes and restaurants, very picturesque on the water and easy to take day trips to lots of places.

…blogspot.com.au/2008/…week-in-provence.html

Toronto
Level Contributor
228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for the right village

That is great to hear and thanks so much. We so loved it there and would love to find an italian version!

8. Re: Looking for the right village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2014, 05:17