We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ABout travel & Stay . I'm doing Rome ->Tuscany->Venice->Rome

Bengaluru, India
3 posts
Save Topic
ABout travel & Stay . I'm doing Rome ->Tuscany->Venice->Rome

hi,

I land in Rome on Sept 14th noon, wish to spend time in Tuscany area on Sept 14th~Sept 16th, move to Venice on Sept 17th morning and move out of Venice to Rome on Sept 19th morning

In Tuscany i wish to see to Florence, Pisa, Lucca, Greve,Siena , San Gimignano.

My question is

1. I have three nights in Tuscany, so where best to stay (Florence ? Siena ?Poggibonsi ? )

I'm on economy/budget travel. I cant drive,would love to ride the vespa, love the countryside,

more interested in interacting with local and feel the culture.

2.How best to travel from Rome Airport to Tuscany to Venice and back to Rome/Naples.

3.What kind of Rail/Bus passes i can use for efficient spending on travel.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ABout travel & Stay . I'm doing Rome ->Tuscany->Venice->Rome

wrong forum.

u need to start in the Italy and its sub region forums

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ABout travel & Stay . I'm doing Rome ->Tuscany->Venice->Rome

Support Forum is for asking general questions on how to use TripAdvisor website, how to find things on it and how to use its many features.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
3. Re: ABout travel & Stay . I'm doing Rome ->Tuscany->Venice->Rome

Hi MashHash,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question in the TripAdvisor Support forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Tuscany, Italy forums. I hope you find the information you need to plan your upcoming travels.

Kind regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Edited: 13 July 2013, 11:03
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,082 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ABout travel & Stay . I'm doing Rome ->Tuscany->Venice->Rome

1. Do not stay in Poggibonsi: it is the least attractive town in Tuscany. It will probably be most convenient to stay in Florence. Do not think of trying to get around on a Vespa unless you are already very skilled.

2. The only practical means of transport is by train.

3. There is no worthwhile transport pass. For the best prices, book direct with the train operator now. Tickets go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com clicking on the UK flag to change to English and using the Italian names for towns. There is also a new operator serving Milan, Bologna, Florence, Rome, Padova, Venice, Naples and Salerno: http://www.italotreno.it/EN

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ABout travel & Stay . I'm doing Rome ->Tuscany->Venice->Rome

"I land in Rome on Sept 14th noon, wish to spend time in Tuscany area on Sept 14th~Sept 16th, move to Venice on Sept 17th morning and move out of Venice to Rome on Sept 19th morning

In Tuscany i wish to see to Florence, Pisa, Lucca, Greve,Siena , San Gimignano"

Personally, I think you are wanting to do too much. If you land noon on Sept 14th, the rest of your day will be spent travelling to wherever you decide to base yourself. I think you need to prioritize your Truscany visit. If it were me, I would head straight to Florence and spend your time there. Then move on to Venice and then back to Rome.

Train would be the best option for travel to and from.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Bengaluru, India
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ABout travel & Stay . I'm doing Rome ->Tuscany->Venice->Rome

My apologies for posting in the wrong place.Thank You Jane for making the Correction.

Thanks for you advise TravelBugMississauga and Sydneynick

I plan to Rome->Venice->Florence->Naples->Rome.

My flight from India lands in Rome Airport(Fiumicino) at 12:30 p.m. Is it sufficient to make reservations for

the 15:35 p.m Rome-Venice train ? or should i give more gap.

I may buy the EUrail Italy pass.

Somebody told me that trains are generally not full and would get seats even if no reservation.

Kindly let me know if this is true. I generally prefer making reservations but if it means additional cost and reduced flexibility on which train schedule i use then i would like to re-think. And since i would have a EURail pass , i wouldnt loose anything if i miss a particular train.

Please advise.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,082 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ABout travel & Stay . I'm doing Rome ->Tuscany->Venice->Rome

Do not buy the Eurail pass: it will cost more than ordinary tickets. Seat reservations are compulsory on all the fast trains, and passholders have to pay €10 for each reservation.

Do not buy tickets for your Rome-Venice train in advance. Flights are often delayed, and discounted tickets are worthless if you miss the train. Even full-price tickets are worthless one hour after the booked departure time. Buy tickets from FCO to Venice at the train station at FCO.

For the other journeys, you can make significant savings by making bookings now. See the last 2 paragraphs of my previous post.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
B B
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ABout travel & Stay . I'm doing Rome ->Tuscany->Venice->Rome

To answer your questions, the best place to base yourself in Tuscany is Florence. In fact, as I gather that you only have 3 days in Tuscany, I'd say either spend the whole 3 days in Florence itself or spend 2 days seeing the city and spend the 3rd day taking a day trip to San Gimignano and Siena (though you don't have a lot of time).

As for the best method of transport, definitely the train.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Bengaluru, India
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ABout travel & Stay . I'm doing Rome ->Tuscany->Venice->Rome

@Sydney Nick, yes i agree its risky to buy the ROme-Venice ticket ... but that means i have to buy it on the spot that day...wont the ticket price be too exorbitant ? I wont even have an idea how much it would cost that day, any ideas ?

@B.B, thanks , but i'm more of local people culture,cuisine,social guy than paitnings and art ... so i'm thinking of devoting more time to Greve (vineyard stuff), San Gimignano OR SIena, Lucca/pisa ... since Florence is more of Art and stuff....correct me if i'm wrong ... what to do you think, if i'm not a Art afficionado how would i spend less time in Florence and more in other Tuscany region??

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
10. Re: ABout travel & Stay . I'm doing Rome ->Tuscany->Venice->Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 05:19