We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to drop hire car between Umbertide and Florence?

Lewes, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to drop hire car between Umbertide and Florence?

Hi,

I'm visiting Umbertide in August and hiring a car. At the end of the holiday I am going to Florence for a few days. I just wondered if there was a good place to drop the car and get the train between Umbertide and Florence so that I could avoid Florence traffic? Or perhaps it is better to just take it to Florence airport and then get a train into the city?

I'd really appreciate any advice- I've never driven in Italy and am a little bit nervous!

Thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,738 reviews
from US$112.70*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,322 reviews
from US$122.70*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,093 reviews
from US$112.70*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
302 reviews
from US$100.20*
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to drop hire car between Umbertide and Florence?

I had the same angst just a few weeks ago. Wanted to rent a car to have in Tuscany for a few days but did not want to drive in Florence and risk getting a ticket by accidentally driving in the LTZ (limited traffic zone).

To avoid this, I rented my car from Hertz which is outside of the city center of Florence (located on Via del Sansovino). I rented my car here upon arriving by train from rome (10 euro taxi ride from train station to Hertz). It was then easy to exit the city and I quite enjoyed having a car in Tuscany for 4 days. To return the car, I exited the A1 and it was a straight shot to to Hertz (the street name changes a few times....and I had to drive through 2 traffic circles....but it was a straight shot). From there, it was only 10 euro for the 3 of us to get to our hotel which was next to the train station in Florence, so you have options.

Lewes, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to drop hire car between Umbertide and Florence?

Thank you, it's really kind of you to reply! I appreciate it.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to drop hire car between Umbertide and Florence?

For your first question. It should be pretty easy to drop the car in Arezzo and take the train direct to Florence.

Umbertide to Arezzo is about an hour or so, easy drive. Ask viaMichelin for the route.

Lewes, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to drop hire car between Umbertide and Florence?

Thank you!

5. Re: Where to drop hire car between Umbertide and Florence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 06:22