We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuscany Location to Stay

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Tuscany Location to Stay

My husband are planning a trip to Italy next September. We are in the preliminary stages of planning. I'm wondering what will be a good location to stay. We intend to visit Florence on a day trip from this location and we would like easy accessibility for day trips to other villages/areas in Tuscany as well.

We dislike crowds and want to deal with the crowds only in those places where we absolutely have to, Florence and Rome. Is it possible to find a remote location with fabulous views and still be able to walk to an area with shops and restaurants as well as transportation?

It would be helpful to know what areas we could easily commute to from the suggested location as well.

Our entire trip will be 17 or 18 nights. At this time I am thinking Venice first for possibly two nights. Then on to Tuscany where we will visit Florence. Next up will be Rome and possibly the Amalfi coast.

Any recommendations for location and lodging will be appreciated.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,632 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuscany Location to Stay

If you want to stay somewhere quiet then you'll need a hire car, public transport is generally very limited and geared to suit the needs of local commuters, not tourists . Finding somewhere with a countryside feel and views, yet still within walking distance of shops and restaurants is somewhat of a holy grail. You need to consider that many properties outside town are up or down steep unmade roads, with no street lighting and no sidewalks. You really have to decide between countryside with car or major centre with the restaurants and transport links.

canada
Level Contributor
161 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuscany Location to Stay

I would suggest you check out La Foce (www.lafoce.com). We stayed on this marvelous estate in 2008 and cannot recommend it highly enough. The castle across the lawn from our farmhouse was used in filming The Gladiator (Castelucchia). If you take every North American fantasy about Tuscany and roll it into one package you will come up with La Foce. We did day trips to Florence, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza, Sienna, Cortona, Monticello, San Gimignano, Radiocafoni and Bagni San Phillipe. You will need a vehicle to explore the many lovely hill towns of Tuscany.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuscany Location to Stay

Peggy hit the nail on the head.

Your "wish list" is kind of like a search for a unicorn. But with some adjustments you could find something terrific!

We like agriturismos and this one might work for you.. It is surrounded by orchards in the country. It's a 15 minute drive to Arezzo where you can catch a 40 minute train into Florence for your day trip. About 25 miles from Siena. Lovely self-catering rooms.

http://www.foresteria.it/eng/

Toronto
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuscany Location to Stay

The Villa Lysis in Lastra A Signa is a short train ride from Florence. We stayed there two years ago. There were five of us and we walked to the train station every day. We are healthy people in our fifties- it is a hike down a hill to the station and up the steep hill back to the villa. We didn't gain any weight!

We also hired a driver the odd time. He took us to Greve in Chianti and San Giamignano.

From the central train station in Florence there are convenient buses to Siena, etc. I wrote a review about the villa which is available on this site. Good luck! I'm looking for a similar villa in Multipulcianno as we don't always like to rent a car. It's not fair to the person who is stuck driving!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuscany Location to Stay

How about Lucca? A wonderfully little town between pisa and Florence, its a perfect base. (We have stayed here the past few years) there is lots to see and do in the town and lots of daytrips possible by public transport and by driving you can explore even deeper into Tuscany if u wanted too. I highly recommend staying here and if you want any more info I'm happy to help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tuscany Location to Stay

Thank you for the various responses. I responded via my Iphone last week, and I now see none of those responses have posted. I am researching the various locations, etc. suggested.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tuscany Location to Stay

Hello Michelle, one town you should consider is Pistoia, not too big, not too small and not touristy.

Geographically it is almost in the middle of Tuscany with chance of day trips almost everywhere by train or bus.

Searching TA hotels or B&B in Pistoia, the reviewers confirm my opinion.

8. Re: Tuscany Location to Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 06:22