We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling around Italy

Reigate, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Travelling around Italy

Hi All

My friend is getting married in Tuscany in April 2014. There is a whole bunch of us going but afterwards I'm travelling around Italy for 2 weeks on my own. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations of where to travel? I like sightseeing but also like the fun things in life to do. Also, what is the best way to travel I've heard both trains and buses. One last thing, where's best to stay if your on a budget?

All suggestions welcomed as I have no idea where to start!

Thank you

Ashley

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling around Italy

Everyone has many, many, recommendations, but that's what THEY like to see. You need to buy a good guidebook such as the DK Eyewitness Guide-Italy and take a look through it. You can decide the things that YOU want to see in those 3 weeks. Don't try to see everything. If you'll be there for about 14 days, I would limit it to about 4 cities/areas. "Fun things in life" are very different from person to person. Some like history, some like art, others architecture, music, food & wine, scenery, water, etc. What do YOU like?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling around Italy

Hi Ashley!

Very exciting! As jerryott says, the question is too broad just yet. Browse the web, get yourself some good guides to look through, the DK guides are nice because they have lots of pictures. Select a set of places that catch your eye and imagination.

A few things to think about, and some basic dimensions that vary your Italy experience:

City vs countryside

Coastal fishing town vs interior city/town

Northern Italy vs southern vs central Italy

Mainland vs the islands (Sicily, Sardinia, etc.)

You can't see it all in one trip, but select a nice mix that is interesting to you. Spend several days in a few places rather than one or two days in lots of places.

Trains are a great way to go in Italy. The countryside may be best explored by rental car. Come back to TA's specific regional forums as your ideas/questions take form.

Whatever you choose, you will have an amazing time...I have never had a bad trip to Italy!

-Karl

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling around Italy

Read about the regions www.italia.it/en/home.html

Train travel www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for train times and fares

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com www.hostelworld.com

Washington, DC USA
Level Contributor
162 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling around Italy

Ashley-

Italy is a feast for the senses and the brain. You really cannot go wrong with anywhere you go. If you've never been you should pay homage to the main cities and sites and put in a little fun as well.

Rome

Florence (and a couple nights in Tuscany/Siena near Florence)

Venice

And add in Sorrento/Capri/Positano - the Amalfi coast (and see Napoli and Pompeii/Mt. Vesuvius) - and splurge on a place or two with a nice pool and or balcony/terrace.

Lake Como is amazing north of Milan.

Pour over the tripadvisor ratings for hotels and B&B's in all of these places - I researched TA very diligently and just hit 6 home runs with small hotels/B&B's that we stayed at on our recent trip to Italy and Barcelona.

We took the Frecce high speed trains, booked 90 days in advance and got really cheap fares - sometimes in first class. Outstanding way to get around the main cities in Italy. Also looked at the Sita bus from Roma to Siena - but ended up going a different route.

Have fun - sounds like a great opportunity to see Italy.

Reigate, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling around Italy

Thanks for your advice! Im looking to learn alot about myself too but would like picture sque places with nice views, good food but woukd like to stop somewhere also that has a young vibe n go clubbing if I stay in a hostel and meet a bunch of people! Im not so much a person that enjoys lookin at scenery more someone who likes getting out there and experiencing the life...still quite broad I know but hopefully helps you point me in the right direction

thanks

Ashley

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling around Italy

Hi Ashley!

>>picturesque places with nice views

pretty much describes 80% of Italy, so that's an easy criterion. You will have already seen the interior (Tuscany...what part will you be in?), so something coastal would be in order at some point.

>>good food

Pretty much describes 90% of Italy. Not to mention great wine! Stay away from the "menu turistico" restaurants (places that have menus outside in English and German).

>>would like to stop somewhere also that has a young vibe n go clubbing

Milano has a hot nightlife...Walking along Corso Sempione from the Peace Arch up is quite a scene from early evening until early morning. Lots of young hip people out having fun.

I realize it's in Italian, but you could still poke around on the weekly guide: Milano da Bere

http://www.milanodabere.it

Their six page list of clubs in Milan is here:

http://www.milanodabere.it/milano/discoteche

more here:

justluxe.com/travel/…116__nightlife.php

Pretty good shopping in Milano as well. From the ritz of the golden quadrilateral to leather & other goods in Brera to antique shopping around the Navigli district. There's a wonderful open antique market on the last Sunday of every month (except for July) all up and down the Grand Canal in Navigli.

>>if I stay in a hostel and meet a bunch of people! Im not so much a person that enjoys lookin at scenery more someone who likes getting out there and experiencing the life

Tripadvisor is good for finding low-cost but nice hotels and B&Bs. Not so much for finding hostels. You might browse Hostelworld for ideas and reviews:

http://www.hostelworld.com/search?search_keywords=Milan%2C+Italy&country=Italy&city=Milan

As for jumping in and experiencing Italy, that's up to you. In general, people in Italy are warm and welcoming, especially if you take the time to learn a few words and begin to speak the language. We took a class at our local community college prior to going our first time and just those few survival sentences helped break the ice a lot. I would say the more you move off the beaten tourist path the more you will be thrown into direct interaction with the people. On the tourist path everything is insulated so the casual tourist can see the sights without ever having to speak Italian or get to know anything about the country itself.

For example, the Island of Sardinia is really beautiful but will have many fewer people who speak English than, say, Florence or Rome.

Hope these ideas help! Let me know if you have questions...it's fun to think about what the best possible trip might be for you.

-Karl

7. Re: Travelling around Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 05:19