We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winery recommendation?

Ontario
Level Contributor
173 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Winery recommendation?

We're renting a car for 2 days and will stay 1 night in Lucca and 1 night in Siena, driving between the two. Is there one particular winery anyone could suggest we be sure to visit? I'd love to do more than one, but realistically we'll only have time for 1. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winery recommendation?

What kind of place are you looking for for the choice is huge and they can be quite different. Do you just want to drop in, maybe taste a few different wines, see what a vineyard looks like and then leave or do you want a full blown tour? I can think of smart, quite commercial places with a wide range of wines to taste (at widely ranging prices), various tours, stores selling wine-related items and then, at the other end of the scale, far smaller producers who only show up if you ring the number pinned to the gate. The choice is yours.

Ontario
Level Contributor
173 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winery recommendation?

Thanks for the reply! I don't think we'll have time for a full tour, just go for a tasting and look around a bit. Someone recommended Barone Ricasoli Winery to us. Do you agree with this suggestion? I think a larger winery where there's a store with items for sale would be better this time round. Thanks so much!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winery recommendation?

Ricasoli is a great choice and was going to be one of my suggestions. The tours are excellent (if you have time and pre-book) but we often just drop by the enoteca where you'll always find people seated at the bar tasting (various prices). The staff are extremely friendly, very helpful, very informative and there are nice things to buy too. I haven't been over there for a few months but I often buy their calendars for wine-loving friends for Christmas presents and they should have those in store by now, we also have a beautiful corkscrew that we picked up there. Oh and their wines are pretty good too!

Edited: 20 September 2013, 12:27
Ontario
Level Contributor
173 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winery recommendation?

Thank you very much!! I can't wait to visit!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
155 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winery recommendation?

Ricasoli is perfect..we were just there...nice wines..beautiful area including the castle. Become a friend of the winery via on line and save 10%

Also look at Verrazano

We also went to antinori, paid the fee and enjoyed what we experienced including the area...

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winery recommendation?

Ah, Antinori ... a very different place but an equally enjoyable experience. If you are going to do two, do these two.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 17:26
Dubai, United Arab...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Winery recommendation?

I would stay away from Large wineries.

8. Re: Winery recommendation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 06:21