We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pitigliano/Vie cave or Lucca / Vinci

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Pitigliano/Vie cave or Lucca / Vinci

Please help my husband and I - we are going around in circles trying to plan an itinerary for 8 days in Tuscany at the end of this month . We do not know Tuscany at all. There is so much to see but we want to give ourselves enough time to take it in, so I am afraid I need to cut something from our plans. What should it be?????

Plans so far

FLY INTO FLORENCE

DAY 1-3 Florence

DAY 4 Tues. Drive via Chianti/ San Gimignano (overnight Siena)

DAY 5 Wed, Siena (overnight Siena)

DAY 6 Thurs Montalcino / Pienza / Montepuciano ( overnight???)

---------------------------

DAY 7 Fri Pitigliano - Vie Cave (overnight ??)

We thought this would give us a change of pace to the hill towns and we like the idea that it is slightly off the beaten track.

DAY 8 Sat Drive up coast road to PISA to catch a 7pm flight from Pisa

possibly getting half day in PISA itself

---------------------------

OR

However we really want to see Lucca and my husband would like to see the VInci museum

so

DAY 7 Lucca/ Vinci (overnight??)

DAY 8 half day PISA before getting 7pm flight

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
782 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pitigliano/Vie cave or Lucca / Vinci

The dilemma between Lucca and the ​​Pitigliano area (not only the town but also the surrounding area, with Sorano and Sovana) is almost insoluble, but between the Vinci Museum and Pitigliano I would not doubt that it is better to choose the second.

Brun066

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pitigliano/Vie cave or Lucca / Vinci

As a big fan of both Pitigliano and Lucca, I feel your pain. Given your particulars, I think Lucca makes more sense as Pitigliano is thin on hotels and restaurants. However, if you think you'll get stressed out by your city touring itinerary, staying in an Agroturismo and hiking the Via Cave will be quite special.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 23:27
Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pitigliano/Vie cave or Lucca / Vinci

PS If hubby is a science guy, this site will tempt him …imss.fi.it/itineraries/index.html

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pitigliano/Vie cave or Lucca / Vinci

Ah - what a wonderful web site. My husband does indeed like his science.

I now fear there may be another tough choice accompanied, perhaps , by an argument !!

Really appreciate the the reply

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,256 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pitigliano/Vie cave or Lucca / Vinci

I think you'd enjoy Pitigliano and the area. It may be thin on hotels and restaurants, but you'll only be there for 1 night.

The pace of your trip is hectic for my tastes. I find the one-night-stands in towns or cities to be very unfulfilling; it's like a drive-by viewing.

As for hotels in Pitigliano, we stayed at Il Tufa Rosa, a nice little place right in the middle of Pitigliano. Be sure to get some night pictures of the village all illuminated.

Too bad you won't have time for the hot springs near Saturnia.

Labrador City...
Level Contributor
98 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pitigliano/Vie cave or Lucca / Vinci

On Day 06- I would suggest Pienza. It's a small Unesco Heritage Site Town. It's also a very easy and simple town to drive into and out of! There are some great views of the rolling hills of tuscany from the ouer parts of the town. We stayed here for 5 nights in 2012. An Excellent base for Tuscan visits. Not many restaurants open late, but there is a great little pizza shop in the old town that is open late... mmmmm... it was good pizza!

Pitigliano- I am a photogrpaher and so is my fiancé, and we spent about 4-5 hours in Pitigliano doing some work. From Pienza/ Montepulciano/ Montalcino the drive is about an hour (with some photo stops along the way). As for staying in Pitigliano... I don't think there is much for Hotels in the area. But honestly, Pitigliano was a highlight town for one of our day trips. It really is beautiful there!

If you're an early riser, maybe you could go to Pitigliano, and travel to Lucca for the night? I know your itinerary is a bit full but, Civita is also worth a visit.

Dont forget to try the Vernaccia Di San Gimignano.... my new favorite white wine! We stayed at an Agriturismo in San Gimignano as our base when we explored the Chianti area. Fantastic town, with an excellent gelato shop..... it actually won a few awards for some the flavors Can't remember the name of the shop.... Its near th middle of town. There are actually two gelato shops across form each other. One has asign up about its awards.

I loved Tuscany... so much we're heading back summer 2014 for our wedding! I really hope you enjoy you trip!

Cheers!

Labrador City...
Level Contributor
98 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pitigliano/Vie cave or Lucca / Vinci

Also if you're on the route Montalcino- Pienza- Montepulciano.... make sure you stop in a small town Between Montalcino and Pienza..... its caled San Qurico... its also a nice visit.

And try a bottle (or a few bottles) of Brunello in Montalcino!

Cheers!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,332 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pitigliano/Vie cave or Lucca / Vinci

http://www.ceccottino.com

I've never stayed here but it's where we always eat now when we're in Pitigliano and if the accommodation and service is even half as good as the food, it'll be a nice stay. My only concern is that you're coming in late October when the year-round quiet little town of Pitigliano will be pretty much deserted and the countryside in this area possibly not looking at its best. (To be honest, although the Pitigliano / Sorano / Sovana triangle may be a "must do" in my book in summer, even then the countryside doesn't have the wow! factor that you find elsewhere in the region.) It's a good hour's drive from Pienza and then another hour along slow, windy roads to the coast road from where you head up to Pisa so, as Jerry has commented, you will be doing quite a bit of driving and it does all look a bit rushed. Pitigliano is unique but I'm not sure I would go all that way south in what could be early winter weather just to see it when my time in Tuscany was so limited, and in a contest with Lucca, I'm afraid the latter would win hands down every time.

Incidentally, I love this board for the exchange of ideas and reading about how visitors see the place. The comment on there not being many places in Pienza open late caught my attention. How "late" are we looking at here for we sometimes have a 9.30 pm dinner reservation in summer? Still, there is no doubt that southern Tuscany is not the place for night owls. If you do come this way, be sure to include San Quirico in between Pienza / Montalcino, though come prepared for a very pretty place with nothing happening.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 05:51
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pitigliano/Vie cave or Lucca / Vinci

Vinci is B side...but Pitigliano is a must! It is a must that most people miss! I did a tour their last year with Natural Italy Tours. It was a 2 day trip and we walked between towns along the via cave! Amazing! The last day we even went to the thermal bath! The guide was fantastic and his English great! I really love Lucca too, but if I had to choose after knowing the two I would pick Pitigliano hands down!

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pitigliano/Vie cave or Lucca / Vinci

Ah - Thank-you all for the replies, all incredibly useful and varied. It is the variety of opinions that makes this website so much more useful than a guidebook.

I take the point about driving but we actually enjoy it and for us is a part of the holiday.

But I think we will now give Lucca a miss and aim to spend our last 2 night in the Montalcino- Pienza- Montepulciano area. Which town though???

On Pitigliano -lastraniera makes a very valid point - the weather ! So I think if the weather is good we will try to do a day trip to Pitigliano as it seems to be doable - and if not we will spend that day in the Montepulciano area instead .

Thankyou for all the advice. Its appreciated