We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuscany Itinerary - need help and guidance

Doha
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tuscany Itinerary - need help and guidance

Departing from Venice heading to Tuscany for 4 nights. ( end of April - early May 2014)

We definitely want to visit Florence ( pls keep in mind - we are not too big on the Museums or Art - if we see couple of them in a day we are content, we don't need to see it all) So should we just do a day trip or is it recommended to stay a night there ?

We definitely would like to do a Chianti wine tour for a day, and then head back to the hotel which could be in Florence or Siena or some other scenic/cozy town.

We want to cover the scenic landscape (Val d’Orcia) and visit countryside / small towns such as Montepulciano / Orvieto / Montalcino, etc.

Should we stay in Siena instead of Florence as we will be closer to the countryside and easily be able to access the scenic drives in Tuscany?

We don't want to do 1 night stays in multiple places, but rather make one place as our base (Florence or Siena) and then do day trips.

We cannot do it all as we only have 4 nights, which is 3 & half days. So what would be the best approach to get full flavor of Tuscany.

Tips on transportation and getting around would also be appreciated! :) Thanks.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuscany Itinerary - need help and guidance

Hi Jaspreet!

It's hard to give clear advice since you're still pretty indefinite. For example, where do you go after Tuscany? Rome?

I'll give a few ideas for you to think about. Since you are not much into galleries, and you will already be spending time in Venice and (perhaps) Rome, you might consider spending your 3-4 days in the Tuscan countryside. Since the other parts of your trip will be in cities, the countryside offers a nice alternative view of Italy.

To do this one pretty much needs to rent a car. For example, train down to Florence from Venice, rent a car, and head out to your agriturismo.

E.g., we stayed a nice place outside of Siena .... a 700 year old restored farmhouse, and used that as a base to explore the Val D'Orcia, Chianti, etc.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g644269-d579…

There are MANY such wonderful B&Bs in the Tuscan countryside, so I would recommend considering that, then moving onto Rome, or wherever after relaxing a few days there and exploring local wineries and Tuscan hill towns like Montalcino and Montepulciano.

-Karl

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuscany Itinerary - need help and guidance

Considering you want to visit some museums (even if few) in Florence, I'd stay at least one night in this city. You should spend 2 full days visiting Florence. The day after I'd reserve an half-day wine tour in Chianti (near Greve, Radda or Castellina in Chianti). Then I'd move to Siena or , better, in one of the most scenic little Val d'Orcia towns, like Pienza, San Quirico d'Orcia, Montalcino. Forget Orvieto, is too much far, unless you wish to continue your holiday towards Rome or the South of Italy. Of course, after visiting Florence, you absolutely need a car to explore the Val d'Orcia rolling hills

Doha
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuscany Itinerary - need help and guidance

Thank You both for your valuable input.

Added info - after 4 nights in Tuscany, we are planning on 5 nights in Amalfi Coast and then 4 nights in Rome and flying out of there.

Since, we will get a good dose of cities with 3 full days in Venice and 4 days in Rome, I will keep Florence as a day trip only.

I like the advice of staying in Tuscany countryside and exploring the small towns and vineyards.

Your thoughts on Umbria ?? From the pictures it looked beautiful.

Also, what would be the best way to get out of Tuscany and reach Amalfi Coast without exhausting a whole day. Thanks :)

Doha
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuscany Itinerary - need help and guidance

Thank You for your valuable input.

Added info - after 4 nights in Tuscany, we are planning on 5 nights in Amalfi Coast and then 4 nights in Rome and flying out of there.

Since, we will get a good dose of cities with 3 full days in Venice and 4 days in Rome, I will keep Florence as a day trip only.

I like the advice of staying in Tuscany countryside and exploring the small towns and vineyards.

Your thoughts on Umbria ?? From the pictures it looked beautiful.

Also, what would be the best way to get out of Tuscany and reach Amalfi Coast without exhausting a whole day. Thanks :)

Edited: 28 October 2013, 13:21
Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuscany Itinerary - need help and guidance

Many parts of Umbria are lovely but I personally don't feel anywhere in that region is as beautiful as southern Tuscany, especially the Val d'Orcia villages recommended above.

canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tuscany Itinerary - need help and guidance

We spent a week at La Foce (www.lafoce.com) in the Val D'Orcia area in 2008. We used it as our home base and visited a different hill town every day including Siena, Pienza, Pitigliano, Montalcino, Montepulciano, San Gimignamo, Cortona, Radicafoni, Bagni San Phillipe, Civita and Florence. The local wine was amazing (Rossi di Montalcino) and the olive oil tasting supper at La Foce, which is a working olive oil estate, was delicious. We would stay there again without hesitation.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tuscany Itinerary - need help and guidance

Now your stop in Orvieto has a sense. Yes, it's on the road to South. Orvieto is lovely, especially its Duomo. It's very easy to reach the city centre in few minutes by taking the cable railway from the train station where there's a large parking. Umbria is an enchanting region, full of well restored little villages, romanic churches and olive groves too. You could stop also in Todi, not far from Orvieto. However I think you should ask for infos in the Umbria section.

Doha
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tuscany Itinerary - need help and guidance

After Tuscany we will spend 5 nights in Amalfi Coast, would it make sense to stop over for 1 night in Rome and then take a train from Rome to Amalfi the next day. This way we will not be exhausting a whole day just trying to reach Amalfi from Tuscany.

We rather do a 2 or 3 hour trip from Tuscany to Rome, spend a day/night in Rome, before heading out to Amalfi Coast. Please give me your thoughts and suggestions ???

Also, we have allotted 3 nights for Rome after doing the Amalfi Coast, as Rome will be the last leg of out trip and we will be flying out from there. :)

Edited: 29 October 2013, 11:02
9. Re: Tuscany Itinerary - need help and guidance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 04:17