We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Planned Elopement in a Tuscany

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Planned Elopement in a Tuscany

Hello,

My partner and I intend to elope in Tuscany next year, it will be just the two of us. I think it can be overwhelming with there being so many wonderful places to get married in the region. I have seen couples getting married in a Florence and it just isn't our style, we'd prefer something a little more rustic. We are having problems with locations, which is where I really value your help.

What parts of Tuscany would you advise for:

- place to stay with idyllic views (open to bed and breakfast and villas as long as it has a real boutique feel). We will be here for the honeymoon, so want it to feel special but that doesn't have to mean crazy expensive.We previously saw La Bandita in Pienza, but think it maybe too isolated.

- we are opting for a civil wedding in a pretty town hall, so this needs to be within close vicinity

- pretty landscape for photos, the typical rolling hills and vines

- as much as we love the natural element, as it is just the two of us we like the idea of going somewhere a bit lively afterwards and having a special dinner

- worth noting we don't drive, but are happy to hire a driver

We intend to get a wedding planner, but can obviously save some money if we can at least decide on location and find a venue.

If any places jump out to you, please share. I need the advice of a local!

Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,181 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Planned Elopement in a Tuscany

I think you nailed it with Pienza. It is a gorgeous small town with amazing views over the Val d'Orcia and a lovely place for a civil wedding.

There is lots of info on the web about the requirements for getting married in Italy, so check it out, though the wedding planner will help.

We stayed at Il Chiostro right in Pienza and it is a beautifully converted old convent with a beautiful terrace overlooking the countryside and an excellent restaurant, though quiet rather than lively.

These are some photos of our stay there

www.nickbooth.id.au/Europe09/Pienza.htm Click on the pictures to enlarge them

If you prefer the villa experience out in the countryside then consider La Foce. Beautiful landscaped gardens and the choice of an apartment or a small villa. But it is quite isolated if you don't drive and want to visit other areas/towns of Tuscany. They will arrange weddings also, as well as guided tours etc.

http://www.lafoce.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,052 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Planned Elopement in a Tuscany

La Foce is indeed lovely, but as said, it is quite isolated. It could work very well for you if you have a car . The grounds there are gorgeous..

We were at a gorgeous agriturismo about 30 kms from Siena a number of years ago when a wedding was held on the grounds. It looked wonderful and the wedding party all stayed at the property. The agriturismo is in the heart of an orchard and if it might help you, I am pretty sure that one of the owners of this wonderful place in named Marian and she is from Barcelona. Check it out...it might suit your requirements very well.

http://www.foresteria.it/eng/

Edited: 17 November 2013, 03:41
Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Planned Elopement in a Tuscany

Check out La Bandita Townhouse in the centre of Pienza as this could be a good option for accommodation if you don't have a car. It's just down the street from the town hall and the restaurant is excellent so would be a good venue for a post-ceremony reception. Il Chiostro is another good venue, possibly better as the terrace of the restaurant has amazing views. Staying in either place you need only use your driver to take you out into the countryside (which is 5 mins away) for the photographs. That said, you'll need a car for the rest of your stay for it's essential to have one in this area.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Planned Elopement in a Tuscany

Thank you so much for sharing Lynn! You have such beautiful photos and the view from your bedroom is the kind of incredible landscape we want to wake up to on our wedding day. I am going to look into La Foce and Chiostro following your recommendation. Good to hear La Foce can manage some of the details ;) Thank you!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Planned Elopement in a Tuscany

Thank you lastraniera and datthecoast! I knew the car would play a key issue. We won't be driving ( long story) but depending on where we stay should be able to get a driver ( location obviously pivotal). The plan is to enjoy Tuscany for a few days and then head south.

6. Re: Advice on Planned Elopement in a Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 05:16