We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best of both worlds - Florence/Tuscany

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
60 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Best of both worlds - Florence/Tuscany

We are going to Italy in July 2014, we plan to stay in Florence (do the Pisa trip from there) but we also want to stay in the Tuscany region countryside for 1 or 2 night en route to Rome. We thought of Chianti but it's very close to Florence and want something a bit more out. The following are important:

- the area must have access to trains as we won't be hiring a car and will also need to connect from there to Rome

-must have scooter hiring nearby so we can tour the area

- must have wine estates in the area

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,224 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best of both worlds - Florence/Tuscany

You need a car if you want to stay in the countryside. Trains are good in Italy, but they really only connect the main towns and cities and they don't go to any of the hilltowns. Hiring a scooter is not a great idea unless you are a very experienced motorcyclist. The problem is the small country roads and the fact that car drivers don't expect to come across scooters outside of the cities. I have seen some very close misses out there and had heard of some bad accidents. If you do hire a car, make sure you read up on ZTLs and have a designated driver when visiting wineries, the drink drive limit is very low in Italy, you can really only have one glass of wine and drive.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence
Level Contributor
7,442 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best of both worlds - Florence/Tuscany

How long is your entire trip in July 2014? The reason I am asking is that it will be very warm and very-very crowded in Florence in July. I would probably want to spend more time in the Tuscan countryside then in a crowded, hot town. Just thinking outloud here. But, to explore and enjoy your time in the countryside, you do need a car. Public transportation is difficult and scooter is a dangerous proposition. Unlike peggypatch, who saw close misses, I personally know two men who ended up severely injured with one on life-support for nearly a month. I do not mean to scare you - just to let you know that you may want to rethink your plan a bit.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,695 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best of both worlds - Florence/Tuscany

You need a car to tour Tuscany effectively.

Don't rent a scooter to tour the area. Renting a scooter would essentially make you a "stain on the road" waiting to happen.

4. Re: Best of both worlds - Florence/Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 05:17