We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuscany with 8 month old baby

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tuscany with 8 month old baby

Hi

I'm starting to plan our first family holiday and looking at staying in either Umbria or Tuscany this June.

Previously, we have stayed for a holiday in Southern Tuscany (Sarteano), so have explored that part of Tuscany (up to Siena) and across to some parts of Umbria - Orvieto and Castiglione del Lago.

I am keen to therefore explore the northern parts of Tuscany, Lucca, Pisa and maybe Florence, but a bit unsure how suitable these will be to visit with a baby in June, when I guess tourist season is in full swing!

A potential option was to fly into Pisa and base ourselves in Lucca for a few nights to cover these places, then continue with a villa holiday for a week further down in Tuscany? Given we'll have a hire car and lots of baby luggage, I can't imagine getting ourselves into the centre of Florence to stay would be very easy.

Would most appreciate any advice you can give,

Thanks so much

Nat.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuscany with 8 month old baby

Florence has ZTL Forbidden Drive zone that encompasses the central city. You cannot drive with yor car into central Florence.

slowtrav.com/italy/driving/traffic_cameras_s…

Pisa also has a ZTL zone.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187899-i577-k2562…

I believe Lucca inside the walls is also a forbidden drive zone.

United States
Level Contributor
9,571 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuscany with 8 month old baby

Many cities and towns have ZTL areas. Lucca does have a central restricted area but there are several public parking areas both inside and outside the walls.

You can click on the full size map and enlarge it to see the public parking areas.

mappery.com/map-of/Lucca-Italy-Tourist-Map

If you are staying more than 3 days, it is usually cheaper to buy a month pass for either Carducci or Mazzini.

TAB

West Chester...
Level Contributor
921 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuscany with 8 month old baby

Our son was 3 when we took him to italy. That was september and it was still quite hot at times during the day. June will be especially hot and you should plan on not being out walking much in the afternoon (that's when we did out driving between cities). Remember that is also the most crowded time of the year so places where tourists focus will be packed, like central Florence. Since you have a car I would think about staying in Fiesole one of the hill towns atound Florence with a gorgeous view of the city and no driving restrictions. We had a great room with a small balcony from which our son sat and ate his dinner nightly overlooking Florence.. Its an easy bus ride down into Florence.

We also found Pisa an easy place to stay with the car. The Tower- Duomo area is less crowded after the tous buses from Rome and Florence leave in the afternoon, and it is a much underrated city. Nice area along the Arno for evening dining and walking. Easy drive over to Siena and Lucca. WE stayed outside of Sienna in a small town to the west and parked on the outskirts of Sienna and walked in.

Another possiblility could be to stay down in the very south of Tuscany/north Lazio area, like near lake Bolsano. Great access to Pitigliano, Banioreggio, Tuscania, Tarquinia and Orvieto (from which you can get the Regionale train and do an easy day trip to Florence. Other parts of Umbria are not far either by car.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuscany with 8 month old baby

I have only rented a car in Italy once among my many visits and that was for a winter visit to western Sicily where public transport is not the best. I have not had to tote baby items and furniture with me on these visits,

When you rent a car, you need to have different criteria for where you want to lodge than if you are just going to take public transport.. First of all where can you park the car? How far away from lodging are you able to park the car ? Could your rental car be damaged by thieves if parked far away from your lodging? Can you at least drive up to the lodging with your stuff? How much is parking going to be? Is there public transport reasonably close to where you can park the car, so you can visit the places with ZTL zones or crazy driving? Are there restaurants close to the parking spot or near your lodging so that you can easily go there after dark?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuscany with 8 month old baby

June can be very hot

6. Re: Tuscany with 8 month old baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 14:17
Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tuscany with 8 month old baby

ALL Italians love babies and will make your 8-month-old seem welcome (yea, adored). Having said that, do consider logistics and potentially very warm weather, at least mid-day. We have found Lucca extremely baby-friendly. Piazza Napoleone is shady, a stroll on the walls will also provide shady areas, as will the grassy areas spaced along the walls. We've noticed lots of couples with babies enjoying the hospitality of Piccolo Hotel Puccini, but there is no lift to the rooms on the first (really second) floor - the only floor on which guests are accommodated. (Not air-conditioned, but rooms have ceiling fans.) Travel from Lucca to Pisa or to Florence is easy. I believe I'd choose the bus (rather than train) for both in that you can place a folding pushchair in the luggage area under the big, comfortable buses and not have to lug it up the train stairs. (Plus, there are lots of stairs to climb to get to the platforms for the trains, at the Lucca railroad station.) Consider flying to Pisa and immediately taking the bus to Lucca, knowing that the bus will take you all the way inside the walls. Get settled in and then hub and spoke to a proper visit to Pisa and one to Florence for a day or two. Then, pick up your rental car to go to your villa portion of your stay.

West Chester...
Level Contributor
921 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tuscany with 8 month old baby

savannah is so right about the Italian attitude toward babies and children. Our son was always being fussed over, grandmothers offered to care for him in restaurants, he got priority in any restroom line, ..:In Pisa at a lovely restaurant along the Arno, the waiter took and sat him on the bar so he could eat an ice cream cone that appeared from somewhere. He seemed to be less well received in Florence than anywhere, consistent with a famous essay that described Florentines as cold compared to other cities. We stayed both in Pisa and in a small town west of Sienna, St. Rocki e ?? Fiesole was our choice outside Florence as it was quieter and easy to park

9. Re: Tuscany with 8 month old baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 06:17