I am planning a trip this June to Italy. Our current idea is to spend four or 5 days in Rome, then rent a place somewhere in Tuscany for a week. I'm looking for ideas for where in Tuscany: Here are the criteria:
1) Preferably not in a big city. The ideal place would be either in a small village or in the country a 5 - 15 minute walk from a village. We don't mind renting a car.
2) Close enough to places like Sienna and Florence to make them easy day trips, either by driving to them, or by driving to the train station.
3) We'd like to do some hiking and or bicycling while we are there. I've found several nice looking day bike trips that start in Florence, but there must be others.
4) It will be my wife, 16 year old daughter and me. One bedroom is fine, as long as there is some kind of fold out or couch for my daughter. Two bedrooms would probably be better.
5) Nice places the size we want seem to be going for $1000 to $1500 for a week, which is fine.
I've never been to Italy, so I'm not sure quite where to start. Any suggestions? All help is greatly appreciated.