We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Truffle Oil - expiry date?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,778 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Truffle Oil - expiry date?

I bought some beautiful truffle oil in October from a farmhouse in Tuscany....every time I uncork it I just float away in a sea of truffle bliss.

However I note the bottle has no expiry date. Having never bought this product before, am just after some advice on how long I should keep it (mind you, it will probably be used up before it expires).

Also, I've been drizzling it onto toasted ciabatta - but what else can I do with it? I know I can google this question but I thought I'd ask the well-travelled Tuscan experts first. Thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,148 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Truffle Oil - expiry date?

Hi Kathy ... it's AMAZING drizzled over eggs ... my fave are poached. And a little over steamed potatoes or pasta is also delicious, as long as you are careful they are not too hot. Enjoy.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,778 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Truffle Oil - expiry date?

Able.....(I am currently making the noise Homer Simpson makes when he sees donuts). Your suggestions are amazing...drool....if I wasn't making risotto for dinner I'd be poaching them eggs right now! Thank you!

New Lenox, IL
Level Contributor
267 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Truffle Oil - expiry date?

Risotto with truffle oil is a popular item in restaurants in the Chicago area! Not sure about expiration dates.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Truffle Oil - expiry date?

Keep it for as short a time as possible. The aroma volatiles are just that - volatiles - and will dissipate rapidly.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Truffle Oil - expiry date?

It's kind of irrelevant, because truffle oil isn't made from actual truffles.

It's completely synthetic, made from what is called an "odorant"...a synthetic representation of what truffles smell like.

Use ASAP....

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Truffle Oil - expiry date?

Dat, that's fascinating, not surprising though still a bit scary. I make my own flavoured oils at home with herbs and always ensure I use them within 3 months. And although I realise it isn't easy for those living overseas, I only ever use this season's olive oil within 12 months of production. Do please always check for the expiry date on bottles of olive oil for it should be written on the back and, in general, is proof that it is this season's and not stuff left over from the year before. In a restaurant in Florence recently, I asked for oil adding it is new, isn't it? The waiter's reply "sure, we took delivery of it three or four months back" clearly proved it wasn't (and that he knew nothing about olive oil).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Truffle Oil - expiry date?

A lot of "truffle oil" is made wth grapeseed oil or very,very light love oil. The odorants that are used are not strong enough to have an impact on a good rich olive oil.

Like you, we make favoured olive oils with herbs from our garden and we make them in smalll batches to use quickly.

8. Re: Truffle Oil - expiry date?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 January 2014, 05:13
Edited: 05 January 2014, 05:13
9. Re: Truffle Oil - expiry date?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 06:18