We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Tuscany this April

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
4 days in Tuscany this April

In April, I am visiting my younger sister, who is studying abroad in Florence. After Rome and Florence, we'd like to travel around Tuscany for 4 days to see some smaller towns, but are unsure where to begin. I've already been to Siena and San Gimignano, and she will have visited both by then as well. I'd love suggestions on an itinerary, whether we should stay in a villa vs. a hotel, and whether we should rent a car or travel via public transportation. We really don't know where to start with a trip like this. Thanks so much!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,520 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Tuscany this April

A vehicle would be more convenient for travelling around rural Tuscany.

www.auto-europe.com

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

You will require an International driving permit for Italy

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy Avoid driving in Florence.

Buses www.trainspa.it/train04/extraurbano.pdf

www.discovertuscany www.italia.it/en/home.html

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Tuscany this April

Rent a car as it's virtually impossible to explore the Tuscan countryside on public transport. And with only 4 days at your disposal, stay in a hotel as most villa lets (assuming self-catering) are minimum one week. Some are flexible out of season but, to be honest, for so short a time I would hotel or B&B it. You will see lots of discussions on the Tuscany board this morning re staying in southern Tuscany (Montalcino, Pienza, etc) with posters asking very similar questions to yourself. With a base in, say, Pienza you would be able to see most of the highlights of the area, including several very popular villages further south (Sovana, Pitigliano, etc) but you will need that car.

3. Re: 4 days in Tuscany this April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 06:21