We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucca to Orvieto

Toledo
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lucca to Orvieto

For our upcoming trip in May, after spending a few days in Lucca we will drive to Orvieto where we will spend three nights. The plan is to leave early morning from Lucca taking a scenic drive and visit a tuscan town or two on our way to Orvieto reaching Orvieto late afternoon or so. Maybe San Gimignano / Volterre on the way? Then there is Montepulciano, Cortona, Pienza, Greve? While in Orvieto we plan to visit Civita for sure which I believe is 1/2 hour away and will only take part of a day. Maybe Cortona, Pienza, Todi while in Orvieto? These are just some of the towns we are thinking of. Obviously will not see all. We would just like to see a bit of the countryside and not rush too much. Any advice from someone who has knowsthe area would be appreciated. What would you suggest as a nice scenic route allowing us to see some towns in the short amount of time we have?

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,446 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucca to Orvieto

Good plan. First, use viaMichelin.com and ask for directions using the option for the scenic (discovery) route. It will take longer, but who cares?

Cortona would be considerably out of the way, and if you see Montepulciano, then Cortona could wait for another trip. And here is a very personal prejudice of mine: I would not take time for Greve. Some people report that there are nice B&B's and hotels around, but I find the center of town to be a tedious, over-commercialized boor. Everywhere else that you mentioned is well worthwhile on a relaxed schedule.

As for time, viaMichelin says that if you drive flat out with no stops or delays along the way, it should take 2:34 on the discovery route.However if you are people, like we are, then you may require food, rest,or encounter traffic delays.

Based on ample driving experience in Italy, I say that the scenic route will take nearly 3.5 hours of travel time, and with two stops for whatever may be of interest along the way, i would expect 6 hours for arrival in Orvieto. Nevertheless, you have a fine plan. All of the places you mentioned are well deserving of a visit (except Greve, IMHO).

When you get home, you must come back and post to tell us how this worked. I think that many people will be eager to hear.

Edited: 12 March 2014, 21:23
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,641 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lucca to Orvieto

You will require an International driving permit for Italy.

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas in Italy roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

www.discovertuscany.com www.italia.it/en/home.html

www.viamichelin.com

Toledo
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lucca to Orvieto

Thanks so much. I will check out the Michilen website.

4. Re: Lucca to Orvieto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 05:27