We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to visit in Tuscany?

Chatsworth, Georgia
Level Contributor
52 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to visit in Tuscany?

I will be in Rome on business for a couple of days and then plan to travel north, through Tuscany toward the Cinque Terre before flying out of Milan.

I am interested in the best place to visit in Tuscany? I have been to Florence but am not opposed to going there again. I would, however, love to see the countryside. Here's my itinerary. Where would you recommend that I stay and visit in this amount of time?

June 5 - Travel to Rome

June 6 - Rome

June 7 - Rome

June 8 - Travel to Tuscany (????)

June 9 - Tuscany (????)

June 10 - Travel to Cinque Terre

June 11 - Cinque Terre

June 12 - Cinque Terre

June 13 - Travel to Milan

June 14 - Fly Home

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,986 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to visit in Tuscany?

Rome to Siena bus www.sena.it Tuscany buses from Siena www.trainspa.it/train04/extraurbano.pdf

www.discovertuscany.com

Trains Siena to Monterosso to Milan and to Malpensa Aeroporto www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times.

www.incinqueterre.com www.ciaomilano.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to visit in Tuscany?

In order to explore Tuscany effectively, you need a rental car.

Not sure wnat your interests are but you might want to consider Montepulciano as a "base" for a couple of days visit. The surrounding area is gorgeous.

For your travel to the CT day, I'd head north to Siena from Montepulciano....spend a good half a day exploring Siena....drop your rental car there and train to La Spezia...and then a quick local train to the CT. A car is useless in the CT.

I'd do more days in Tuscany and less in the CT.

Edited: 22 April 2014, 04:40
St. Albert, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to visit in Tuscany?

We loved Volterra, Monteriggioni, and San Gimingnano...& we also loved the Cinque Terre. I second the advice to rent a car while exploring Tuscany - it's really the best way to explore the region.

Chatsworth, Georgia
Level Contributor
52 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to visit in Tuscany?

Thank you for all of the great advice.

Regarding the car rental.... There will be 4 adults and one child (2 years old). What are the laws in Italy regarding child car seats? We won't have a car seat with us so if we need one, can we rent one from the car rental company?

Do you think we can fit 4 adults, a child (possibly in a car seat) and luggage (which will not be excessive) in a car that we can rent in Italy?

Do you have a recommedation on a good car rental company? We will be in Rome before we head to Tuscany. Should we just rent the car in Rome or should we ride the train the Florence and rent a car there?

Many thanks!

April

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to visit in Tuscany?

Phone....don't just surf the website....www.autoeurope.com. They are a consolidator based in Maine who will give you excellent advice.

Good luck!

6. Re: Where to visit in Tuscany?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:16