We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vespa/Scooter in Tuscany

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vespa/Scooter in Tuscany

I've seen many threads here about how riding a scooter through Tuscany is quite dangerous if you have not done it before, but I have a few specific questions.

First, this would not be my first time riding a scooter. I have ridden inside of Florence two or three times, ridden up to Fiesole and around there. I have also driven a scooter in places like Vietnam, Thailand, Spain, etc. So as far as driving the scooter I'm all good, quite comfortable and so on.

My question is what specifically makes renting a scooter in Tuscany a bad idea if you're comfortable on a bike? Is it the other drivers? Are the roads between towns and in the hillsides just not good for scooters? Are there a lot of dirt roads that would make it difficult to go from town to town?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,731 reviews
from US$113.70*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,321 reviews
from US$123.80*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,093 reviews
from US$113.70*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
300 reviews
from US$101.00*
Turin
Level Contributor
7,687 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vespa/Scooter in Tuscany

> My question is what specifically makes renting a scooter

> in Tuscany a bad idea if you're comfortable on a bike?

Nothing.

If you already rode a scooter in Vietnam you have nothing to worry about. I did it both in Tuscany and in Hue (to see the imperial tombs), and the first one was much easier.

It's just a trip in Tuscany, not the Paris-Dakar desert race.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 11:50
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vespa/Scooter in Tuscany

Thank you! Just one more question: do you have any suggestions on where to rent a scooter? I searched the forums and the results are pretty thin unfortunately.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vespa/Scooter in Tuscany

There's a popular scooter rental place in Greve in Chianti, near the road that leads up to Montefioralle. You could take the bus to Greve or stay there, and do your scooter tours from there.

4. Re: Vespa/Scooter in Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:16