We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1/2 day tour or a few hours on own in Tuscany? Please help!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
1/2 day tour or a few hours on own in Tuscany? Please help!

Hello! My husband and I just got to Florence and the opportunity presented of an extra 1/2 day while we are here. We are already taking the "best of Tuscany tour" tomorrow however, we want to take advantage of this extra day just to explore a nearby town before we need to be at train station in afternoon. Out hotel could

Hold our luggage. We would appreciate some suggestions on what to do, where to go, and how to get there?

We looked at our guidebook and the closest area nearby Florence seems to be Fiesole. We Imagine roaming around a villa surrounded by beautiful fields and views and perhaps tasting wines.

Would appreciate any help!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1/2 day tour or a few hours on own in Tuscany? Please help!

Not sure that Fiesole can give you that, but it is certainly worth a visit. I don't think you have time to do what you imagine unless you join a tour or get a private driver.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1/2 day tour or a few hours on own in Tuscany? Please help!

Do you know how and where I can get a private driver? Is this something the hotel can do? Or

Should we try to do it on our own

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1/2 day tour or a few hours on own in Tuscany? Please help!

You could ask your hotel, but I see you are already there and the drivers are often booked up well in advance, so I am not sure what your chances are. Why not go to the tourist information and see if there is a half day tour running to a winery in Chianti? I think you have probably left it too late to try to organise a half day trip to the countryside under your own steam.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1/2 day tour or a few hours on own in Tuscany? Please help!

You can easily do a half day tour of Tuscany by taking the SITA bus from their terminal located next to the SMN train station. The buses depart all day to the towns South of Florence into the Chianti wine region.

A good stop is Greve(www.greve-in-chianti.com). There is an old wine cellar(CAntina) where you can taste most of the wines of Chianti then have a lunch from one of the many restaurants surrounding the town piazza.

Many menus offer local Tuscan specialties. If you go on Saturday morning then you can experience a typical Tuscan outdoor market.

Depending on how much time you can spare then there are some nice walks up to Montefioralle through the vineyards and offer some outstanding views of the hills and valleys.

The bus trip out take a little less than one hour. Be sure to purchase your return bus ticket when you buy your departure ticket.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1/2 day tour or a few hours on own in Tuscany? Please help!

To be honest, I did consider suggesting that very trip Ricardo, but I thought it would be a bit tight to get to Greve walk to Montefiorelle and back and catch a bus back by the afternoon. I suppose it depends what time their train was, but they did say a half day trip suggesting they needed to be on an early afternoon train.

6. Re: 1/2 day tour or a few hours on own in Tuscany? Please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 06:17