We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chianti or Sienna

Miami, Florida
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Chianti or Sienna

Hello All,

Just arrived in Florence and already leaving this tuesday, which means I only have one day to visit. I am not interested in museums or historical sites here in Florence, and I really want to see the rustique side of Tuscanny, with lots of trees and SUNFLOWERS, wineries ( The kind of landscape you see in the Movie " Under the tuscan sun" )

I know the movie was filmed in Cortona, but since this little trip would require a car, I crossed it out of the list, the 2 other places I heard are very beautiful, are Sienna and Chianti.

Knowing that I'm looking for a rustique experience and that I want to see sunflowers, which of these cities would you recommend the most ? :) :)

Best,

Val

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chianti or Sienna

Siena is a city, so not the place to go for a "rustique experience". Chianti is a wine district, with towns like Greve-in-Chianti (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greve_in_Chianti) and Castellina-in-Chianti (http://www.chianti.com/castellina-in-chianti/) - so taking a vineyard tour like this would get you out into the countryside: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187895-d3…

But tomorrow is far too early for sunflowers anyway, they don't flower until July: justwanderlustblog.com/2013/…

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chianti or Sienna

Yes, too early for sunflowers. As qaminari has said, Siena is a city so if your are looking for countryside, of your choices, it would be the Chianti region. However, just as an FYI, you mentioned Cortona. You do not need a car to get to Cortona. You can take the train from Florence SMN to Camucia-Cortona. You will need to either take a taxi or a bus up the hill to Cortona but it is not far from the train. However, Cortona is a town and again, not really the countryside. Though the views from Cortona offer you splendid countryside.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,858 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chianti or Sienna

We were in Tuscany through this past Saturday and there was not a sign of sunflowers. There are some random patches of red poppies throughout Tuscany and now in Umbria, but nothing which would knock one's socks off :/ Also, Under the Tuscan Sun was actually filmed in the Val d'Orcia and not in Cortona. The landscapes of Val d'Orcia would knock your socks off with drop-dead gorgeous, rolling, green hills, bales of hay, Tuscan villas, both intact and in ruins. However, I have no idea how you could do this without a car. You would need to travel about two hours South of Firenze. The only thing I can think of is look for a small bus tour for maybe a dozen or less people.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chianti or Sienna

Anna, Actually Under the Tuscan Sun was filmed in Cortona (and there are some scenes in Rome, Positano, Florence, Montepulciano, Arezzo and Sansepolcro). They added a fountain in front of the municipo for the movie (which was later removed) - but it was certainly filmed here. A different house was also used for filming than Bramesole but it is also in Cortona. But, yes, the Val d'Orcia is the quintessential Tuscany.

Torrita di Siena...
Level Contributor
63 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chianti or Sienna

I quote Cat7115: Under the tuscan sun was filmed in Cortona, Montepulciano ecc.ecc. Valdorcia it was the area for another movie....Gladiator sorry for the OT

6. Re: Chianti or Sienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 05:15