We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner with a View In Tuscany

London, United...
Level Contributor
236 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner with a View In Tuscany

I am planning on being in Italy in September with my wife. I will be traveling from Rome to Florence by train. I was thinking about stoping in Siena on the way to Florence for a night.

My wife wants to have dinner with a nice view somewhere in Tuscany. I know that there are a lot of small towns. I was wondering if anyone had an input on if I should stop someone on my way to Florence and stay the night or take a tour out of florence for a day on something like this - (http://www.slow-days.com/booking.html)

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,947 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner with a View In Tuscany

I would stay somewhere en route in a village and walk out to dinner so you don't have to drink and drive. There are plenty closer to Florence in the Chianti but Pienza, Il Chiostro terrace is the one that immediately comes to mind for me. Fab town to stay in with lots of accommodation in all price brackets, beautiful place to visit, and this is an excellent restaurant (though not cheap) for both food and stunning view. I would personally much prefer here to the other restaurant in the village with similar name (La Terrazza Val d'Orcia) as food can be disappointing even if view is lovely and ambience in the evening very pleasant. Alternatively, La Porta at very pretty Monticchiello, though you'll need to pre-book table on terrace well in advance as there aren't that many. There are a couple of very nice B&B options in this village. Otherwise, la Costa at Montefollonico with that view of the Val di Chiana. There are better places to eat in this exquisite village (13 Gobbi in particular) but if you want a big view, then consider here. The hotel is very nice too. You don't say when you are coming in September but note it will be dark by 8 ish.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,713 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner with a View In Tuscany

I was also thinking La Porta in Monticchiello or La Costa in Montefollonico, the former is abetter value for lunch, IMO. However, you would need a car for this. I do not see how you would manage with a public transport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
236 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner with a View In Tuscany

Thanks you both for your input. I do not have a car so I will have to do a tour from Florence.

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner with a View In Tuscany

The fast train makes the trip from Rome to Florence in about 90 minutes and is a very comfortable way to travel between the two cities. My husband and I had a very good experience with a private driver from Hills and Roads picking us up at our hotel in Florence on April 23 and driving us around Chianti for the day at a cost of approximately 40 euro per hour for both of us. Their service may be similar to Slow Days. We stopped for lunch at Il Ristoro di Lamole and had a terrific experience from excellent food to a beautiful view and wonderfully attentive yet unobtrusive service…it was the best meal of 16 days of great meals. Enjoy!

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,947 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner with a View In Tuscany

Second that restaurant recommendation in Lamole.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 09:35
6. Re: Dinner with a View In Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 20:17