We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skirt Length

Orange County...
Level Contributor
68 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Skirt Length

Good morning all! I am hoping for some insight because quite frankly, I just don't remember!

I do remember that on prior trips to Italy, we would see women either turned away from churches or given a shawl to drape over their shoulders or knees.

Obviously micro mini skirts are totally inappropriate but does a skirt really need to be all the way covering the knee to be acceptable? How short is ok?

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skirt Length

It all depends upon where you are (in Florence: the Duomo and Santa Croce esp., although just a few days ago we had a wee kerfluffle at Santa Maria Novella: to our minds, our friend was dressed completely appropriately).

It also depends upon who's at the door. Some of the guards like to exert the little bit of power they have, and will either turn women away (it's usually women: we've seen plenty of men in tank tops in various Important Churches in Florence), or let it slide.

OR they suggest that you buy one of those attractive Hefty Bags (they come in One Size Fits All, in a drop-dead gorgeous shade of blue)(not).

We'd suggest the following: wear a skirt that hits your knees (or one that is even longer). Don't wear short shorts (they're meant for the beach). Always carry an emergency scarf with you so that you can drape your shoulders should entrance necessitate it.

We hope this helps.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,425 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skirt Length

Most places don't have the staff to monitor what people wear. The Vatican in Rome is very strict. Santa Croce in Florence is fairly strict although they seem more focused on bare shoulders (they pass out or sell those ugly drapes that look kind of like toilet seat covers to cover shoulders of people in tank tops). I seem to recall that the Siena Cathedral enforces shoulders -- don't know about skirt length.

United States
Level Contributor
9,620 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skirt Length

The Duomo in Pisa also passes out those paper covers for shoulders and knees.

TAB

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skirt Length

I so agree about SMN, last time I was in there on a hot day I saw several ladies being refused entry even though they looked fine to me. Always carry that emergency scarf for both churches and also in summer stores or restaurants with a fierce A/C as it can help keep the chill off. However, knowing how (rightly) concerned visitors are about what to wear in the well known churches, it makes me smile when I'm in Mass on Sunday in the countryside and see my fellow parishioners in various states of un-dress. Even sat next to a guy from my village in tailored shorts last weekend, and what some of the younger women wear would probably surprise you.

5. Re: Skirt Length

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 07:16