We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chianti -tuscany itinerary HELP

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
138 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Chianti -tuscany itinerary HELP

We ( 5 girlfriends 50+ ) are spending 10 days in Tuscany . We fly into Rome ,pick up Rental car and drive to Margine Coperta (Montecatini Terme area) where we will stay for 4 nights . Next day We have a spa sessions

(10-12 am )booked and after that we will explore Montecatini terme and Montecatini alto . Then time permitting Visit Vinci . The following day Forte dei Marmo morning and Carrera afternoon . Following day Lucca all day . Next day

we depart our Margine Coperta accommodations and will visit San Gimignano on our way to Montepulciano for the next 4 nights . The following day we will visit Siena all day. We have the next two days without commitment . The last day we will visit avignonesi winery for tour and lunch there and then I intend to drive to Rome airport hotel to stay overnight for morning flight. So I do have those two days but I also wanted to visit Montalcino and Pienza . I rather do less than more ! I don't want to race through the entire Chianti region and not enjoy it. I don't mind the driving , but a lot of stops I don't want . In my previous post someone told me about 13 or more stops , seems too much. I read www. Chianti.info 10 times already and everyplace in Chianti for one reason or another seems fantastic and visit able. I want to have lunch or dinner at Ristoro di Lamole, and stop in Montefioralle as the pictures of it look so Beautiful ..... I could go on and on ..... what do you suggest for those two days with what I have stated ...

Thank you so much

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chianti -tuscany itinerary HELP

As always in Tuscany, something has got to give. However, you could visit a part of the Chianti in conjunction with San Gim on the day you drive south - I do this combination quite often. You could stop at Lamole for an early lunch, drop into Montefioralle and then head over to San Gim for the afternoon, assuming you don't mind arriving at your Montepulciano accommodation early evening. It's still a bit busy but could work. I love your last day with the Avignonesi tour and then drive to Rome, that works well. Incidentally, on my previous post it wasn't as many as 13 stops, that would have been insane - I gave you the initial towns as a guide to the route. We only stopped at San Gusme, Gaiole, Volpaia, Radda, Panzano church, Greve, Badia. And I could easily have crossed off Gaiole, Panzano and Badia. In fact, I often take people along the Chiantigiana and we only stop briefly at one or two places (always Greve, usually Volpaia) and to take pictures. But we all travel differently and the girl I was with that day wanted to see them all.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
138 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chianti -tuscany itinerary HELP

I think that is a good idea . If I have an appointment for 2:00 in San Gim . How early should I start out to see montefioralle and Lamole. ? How far away are they from San Gim ?

Thank you so much !!!

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chianti -tuscany itinerary HELP

I can't say how long it's going to take from where you are staying overnight to Lamole but Lamole / Montefioralle is around 30 mins, it doesn't look far on a map but you have to take the road down from Lamole to Greve very carefully indeed for it's ever so windy. And then Montefioralle to San Gim, I would estimate, 40 mins. Tuscan, our Castellina-resident board member, will hopefully correct me or otherwise on these timings.

4. Re: Chianti -tuscany itinerary HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 06:16