We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuscany Input

San Luis Obispo...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tuscany Input

We're looking for input four how to best spend 4 nights in Tuscany. Stating October 6, we'll spend 3 nights in Venice, 2 nights in Cinque Terra, and 5 nights in Florence before Tuscany. After Tuscany, we have 5 nights in Rome. I'm having a little trouble figuring out Tuscany. My current thinking is to train from Florence to Orvieto Thursday, October 16. We would use Orvieto as our base and spend Thursday touring Orvieto. We'd rent a car and drive to Assisi Friday, Siena Saturday, other hill towns - help! - Sunday. We don't have a need to over do Tuscany and we see it as a kind of recharge series of days before Rome.

All thoughts appreciated!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,603 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuscany Input

I would consider reducing Florence to 3 days as it does not warrant 5 and rent a villa or appartment somewhere in Tuscany for one week (get a better rate for the week). Map out all the towns you want to see in Tuscany and then group them by day with a day in the middle to relax, take a cooking class, or visit a winery. Look for wine festivals also and market days.

Have a great holiday

New Lenox, IL
Level Contributor
267 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuscany Input

I agree with 3 days in Florence and then a week in Tuscany. If your base near Siena, Pienza or Montepulciano you will be in driving distance of much of Tuscany including Orvieto. If you chose Montepulciano or Pienza you can train from Florence to Chiusi and rent a car near the rail station.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuscany Input

I think your original plan is fine, but if you want to tweak it a bit then that's fine, too. I like the idea for train to Chiusi and rent car there - it will make things a bit easier/calmer.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,576 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuscany Input

You might want to look at where CT fits in the plan. It depends on whether you go through Milan or Florence I think, but what about Venice to Florence to CT instead? That works better with the train routing.

Now, I need someone else to fill this bit in for me, but I'm reasonably sure that the train goes from CT down the coast to Rome, so it doesn't go through Florence and you'd have to change trains in Pisa if you wanted to go to Florense. So what about taking the train towards Rome and getting off somewhere -- just looking at the map Grosseto is in the right general area - and going into Tuscany from there in a rented car?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuscany Input

Orvieto is not the most convenient base for that region. I'd suggest somewhere near the Pienza, Montepulciano area. Several great day trips in that area. Do not miss Siena, which would also be a good base city.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tuscany Input

I think I would cut Florence down to 3 days as suggested above and add to Tuscany. However, you say you want to spend time in Tuscany, yet Siena is the only location (other than Florence) that you list that is actually in Tuscany. Both Assisi and Orvieto are in Umbria. And I would concur with ncgator that Orvieto is not the most convenient for touring the Tuscany area. A better base indeed would be the Val d'Orcia to give you a real flavor of Tuscany as this is the quintessential Tuscany area. From Florence I would train to Chiusi and pick up the rental car there. Keep for the week in Tuscany...

Then when you head to Rome, you could make a stop in Orvieto on the way. Either return the car there or drop in Rome (Termini or FCO airport).

Possible day trips while in Tuscany:

Siena - 1 full day

San Gimignano & Volterra - 1 day

Arezzo & Cortona - 1 day

Montepulciano, Pienza, San Quirico, Montalcino and other Val d'Orcia - 2+ days for multiple combinations

If you want to do Assisi - combine with something nearby in Umbria

Check major rental agencies through www.autoeurope.com

You will need an IDP - International Driver's Permit - available through your local AAA office (member or not) for about $15, a bit more if they need to take the necessary passport size photo. An IDP is the law in Italy.

7. Re: Tuscany Input

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 05:16