We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to find Bramasole?

Level Contributor
76 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
How to find Bramasole?

I'd love to see Bramasole, the now famous house from "Under the Tuscan Sun". Can anyone provide the exact address or directions from the centre of Cortona just so I can walk past?

Eremo Le Celle
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Sites, Sacred & Religious Sites
Cetona's Belvedere
Cemeteries, Caverns & Caves
Museo Diocesano
Speciality Museums
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to find Bramasole?

Hi Vicky,

I stayed in Cortona for about a week a couple of years ago. It is a remarkable hill top town and I am sure you won't be disappointed with it. It is possible to walk to Bramasole but it is not quite as close as you may think from reading "Under the Tuscan Sun". I would suggest it takes around 15 minutes from the top of the Hill. It is easier for you to ask at the tourist information centre as they will give you a map with the exact path to walk. Make sure you trek to the top of the Hill as there is a beaufitul Monastery and Chapel.

I recently had some olive oil sent over from Bramasole as it is almost the best I have tasted. Try looking at the website for more information http://www.randomhouse.com/features/mayes/

All the best!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
244 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to find Bramasole?

I went to Bramasole in May.....It's was a gorgeous 20 minute walk with a view of the Tuscan hills and valleys below. When you get to Cortona, go to the Tourist Office which is close to where the bus stop is on your left side, and they will give you a map of Cortona and even give you directions to Bramasole...it makes more sense to you if you have a map in front of you, and everyone knows where Bramasole is.

You can't miss it when you see it: it looks sort of pink/coral, and it's facing you as you walk upward the cypress lined street. I have pictures of it you'd like me to send you one so you know what to look for. One of the locals was jogging nearby and I asked him where Bramasole was and he pointed it out to me.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to find Bramasole?

Follow the city road up the hill keeping the city wall on your right. Continue until you have come to the end of the town and until you arrive at an intersection. Turn right at this intersection and after about 100metres you will come to a fork in the road. There is a small cafe or bar at the apex of this fork. Take the left road of the fork and travel down hill. At a distance of about 500 metres you will see a car stop point on the left. Stop and look back and there is Bramasole!

If you are walking the instructions are the same but you could walk up the hill within the town and then exit through one of the gates and follow the road.

Wayne. New Jersey
Level Contributor
246 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to find Bramasole?

follow signs for Hotel Cory's (up the hill). when you get to hotel cory's, pass it, bare left at the fork and continue on about 1/4 to 1/2 mile and it will be on the right.

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to find Bramasole?

We just went a couple days ago. From main strip of stores in Cortona, head through the public park and down the long gravel road. You will see the Tennis Camp/Club on your left. Go around the bend, around the camp. Follow the road for a good 10-15 minutes. You will see Bramasole coming at you...a big old house rectangular house, faded orange, with lots of flowers. You will see a long line of lavender leading to the front gate. You cannot miss it. There is no sign that it is Bramasole.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to find Bramasole?

Hi Vicimelda,

Quite tragically I know that movie word for word. I loved the scenery in the movie and the romantic notion of buying and restoring a Tuscan villa. So, of course I wanted to see Bramasole.

Well, it really has no rustic character about it at all. There were so many other villas that had much more character.

A local drove us past the house they used in the movie, the house you see (the one everyone describes here) has nothing to do with the movie whatsoever. Very Americanised looking mansion capturing very little of Tuscany.

But, she has brought tourists to the area so I suppose that's good for Cortona. But, don't expect much when you get there - to Bramasole I mean!!

Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to find Bramasole?

Frances Mayes's charming book (and, later, far less charming film) has certainly brought many many more tourists, but Cortona's been on visitor's must-see list since the days of the Grand Tour. And even as recently as just prior to the first edition of the book (which was what, mid 90s?), the town was busy in mid-summer but nicely so. We viewed a house outside the town in the autumn of '92 and I can clearly remember the first line of the description in the real estate agent's brochure, I still have it somewhere: "A stone's throw from Cortona, a town that requires no introduction..."

Kuttawa, Kentucky
Level Contributor
168 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to find Bramasole?

The house used in the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun" is actually Villa Laura. The street beside the house is actually a paved street. It was made to look like a dirt road in the movie. You can drive past Villa Laura as well. Also, the fountain in the movie was created out of styrofoam.

I, too, can quote every word in the movie...just watched it again last night. I've lost count of the times I have watched it...lol. I plan to visit Cortona next July and celebrate my 50th birthday. I will visit both Villa Laura and Bramasole on that day. Just for the kick of it! I also purchased Olive Oil from Bramasole and will get it in the spring of 2009.

Under The Tuscan Sun is the reason I am going to Cortona. I also plan to do cooking classes while there and enjoy all the italian food I can!! I am sooo looking forward to it.

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to find Bramasole?

How do i see pictures of villa laura from the movie"under the tuscan sun"?

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to find Bramasole?

Hello..how do i find picyures of villa laura, from the movie under the tuscan sun?any info will help