We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Car Hire

Is it easy to hire a car on arrival in Cortona, Italy, in September, rather than hiring one from home before I leave? Or will I miss out on the type of car I would prefer?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,418 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire

You may not be able to hire there at all. So far as I can see, none of the major rental companies has an office at Cortona.

In any case, you pay much more if you do not book in advance.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,332 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire

Personally I would always pre-book to guarantee availability and as Nick points out, pre-booking (and pre-paying) you can save a lot of money, sometimes as much as15%. You don't say where you're coming from but consider hiring a car maybe at Chiusi and driving over to Cortona. It's a lovely drive along the countrylanes across the Val di Chiana.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire

We have just returned from Cortona. We caught the train from Rome and had pre arranged car hire out of Terontola -Cortona. Terontola station is within walking distance from the rental agency and all went very smoothly. We hired a tomtom as well. The drive to Cortona itself is about 15 - 20 minutes ( if you don't get lost). This is much closer than Chiusi.

California
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire

What company did you use? Were the rates good? I'll be coming from Naples/Sorrento by train, do you suggest driving instead?

Cortona, Tuscany...
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire

there are several rental cars in Cortona:

Sixt is near Camucia train station, a walking short distance, it is better to book from your country.

il Girasole is next to the train station of Terontola, also short walking distance,

the third is Panichi which is always available with small or big cars (van for 9 persons) or small panda or fiat punto.

Cortona, Tuscany...
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire

there are several rental cars in Cortona:

Sixt is near Camucia train station, a walking short distance, it is better to book from your country.

il Girasole is next to the train station of Terontola, also short walking distance,

the third is Panichi which is always available with small or big cars (van for 9 persons) or small panda or fiat punto.

Edited: 16 September 2011, 07:35
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire

Hi, If possible please let me know what is the name of the car rental company in Terontola, Italy? Also, how was the service and was it very expensive?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire

I believe LaMucchia lists "il Girasole" as the rental company in Terentola. I am not sure if Panichi is Cortona Terentola.

Cortona, Tuscany...
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire

in terontola, the name of the company is "il girasole" the prices are about the same, Sixt is cheaper, but you have to book it from their site, not possible to get a car on spot.,I hope I helped in something.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,205 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire

I recommend that a rental car be prebooked and prepaid in advance. For our trips, we always book here in the States with AutoEurope or its sister company, Kemwel, which are brokers located in Maine. Their customer service is superb and the prices are very good.

Just a note here about Cortona, I think that some areas within the old section are parking with permit only, so be careful. We met a couple of ladies who had their hired car towed and ended up paying something like 250 Euro in fines to get the car back. They parked the car in front of their B&B which required a permit. Just saying.

Get answers to your questions about Cortona