We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get party of 13 from Rome to Cortona?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
116 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
How to get party of 13 from Rome to Cortona?

We are three families for a total of 13 people needing to get from Rome to our rent house near Cortona. We fly into Rome & spend one night, then will head out the next day around lunchtime. I need advice on the best way to get us to Cortona-- hire a driver(s) and rent our cars in Cortona (or wherever the nearest rental agency is) or rent our cars in Rome (and if so, where- return to the airport or or in town)? And we will fly back out of Rome a week later. The size of our party is really throwing me on this one! Any advice is much appreciated!

Edited: 10 June 2013, 04:36
adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get party of 13 from Rome to Cortona?

how many cars do you need

train from Rome to Cortona is easy for everyone

cars and drivers would be expensive

car rental in Cortona

check prices for all alternatives

what is the main thing causing problems as it should be straight forward

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,003 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get party of 13 from Rome to Cortona?

So far as I know, no major car rental company has an office at Cortona.

I would rent 3 or 4 cars in Rome and drive to Cortona. It is about 200 km, and the drive would take less than 3 hours (plus stops). You could pick up at Termini if you feel confident about driving in Rome, or from FCO. Drop off does not have to be at the same place.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get party of 13 from Rome to Cortona?

You could also train to Chiusi and rent there (be aware that not all companies are right by the train station, so do check location), but I agree that renting and returning from FCO is probably simplest. Make sure you know all about the limited traffic zones operated throughout Italy. Read here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c140065/Tusca…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,066 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get party of 13 from Rome to Cortona?

Car rental www.auto-europe.com www.auto-europe.it

Non EU citizens require an International driving permit for Italy

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

www.italia.it/en/home.html

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get party of 13 from Rome to Cortona?

The airport is always the easiest for a number of reasons: Major rental agencies are there, better hours and much easier in and out. As said, you can pick up and drop off in different areas, charges if any, are minimal. use www.autoeruope.it as Nurioopta suggested for best rates. It really is much more difficult to rent out of an area like Cortona since there is no major rental office and what does exist is not near the train station. It also depends on what hour you arrive - Many of these smaller rental offices do not have hours on Saturday or Sunday (or maybe only until noon on Saturday) and may close M-F for a few hours in the afternoon, and even close completely by 4-4:30pm. So personally, I would rent in Rome and drive to Cortona. It is an easy drive mostly on autostrada as sydneynick stated.

6. Re: How to get party of 13 from Rome to Cortona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 05:17