We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cortona Panicale Sarteano

Which Cortona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cortona Panicale Sarteano

Put this on Italy forum but thought it might be best here!

My husband and I wish to stay in a small village for a few weeks to practice Italian and chill out. Call us crazy but we don't want to hire a car, driving on the wrong side of the road has become too stressful (and I appear to have spatial issues when I attempt it!). Want to stay in a village that is relatively close to a train station with bus and or taxi's. for that reason I am looking at Panicale, Cortona and Sarteano. My research tells me they have some sort of bus service even though it may be irregular and that there are taxis at Chuisi station. Is this correct? We would be happy to put money that we would have spent on a hire car into taxis. My concern would be getting taxis from the town to the station. Does anyone know if taxis are around these towns very often? Is there any reason to choose one town over another. Are there walking opportunities from these villages, we are relatively fit so a moderate hill wont bother us. We are willing to put up with the inconvenience to avoid the driving. Also we could look perhaps at a driver for the odd day we wish to venture out?? Many thanks

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cortona Panicale Sarteano

I know Sarteano very well indeed as I have friends (Italian) living in the old town, it's a charming place with a really interesting medieval centre and, best of all, it sees hardly any foreign tourists even in summer. There are a couple of large town houses to rent in the old town that attract house parties of 12 to 14 but apart from this and a few houses in the countryside the accommodation options are limited and the town barely known outside of Italy, which is strange as it makes a great base for touring. One of the area's most popular (thermal) swimming pools is here, it's a lovely place set in very picturesque surroundings. There are also some great small restaurants. I have no idea about taxis (which you must be warned are hideously expensive) but there is no doubt a bus once or twice a day to Chiusi, Cetona and possibly Chianciano / Montepulciano going the other way. It's probably 15 - 20 mins down to Chiusi Station. If it were me, I would definitely hire a car at least for a couple of days (car hire available in Chiusi.) However, walking opportunities are endless as the town is situated on a plateau around 510m up the side of Monte Cetona. Cortona is an entirely different experience altogether - very touristy, very crowded, packed with people and stores and very little left (in summer at least) of a Tuscan feel. Easy access to the station with plenty of buses, taxis and large choice of accommodation options too. Panicale, which is in Umbria, is similar to Sarteano but sees more foreign tourists and is a fairly popular English / German speaking expat hub with year-round foreign residents. I personally don't find it a particularly attractive place - next door Paciano is far, far prettier - it's probably 20 mins to Chiusi Station, bus schedule no doubt as erratic as from Sarteano.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 03:46
Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cortona Panicale Sarteano

That is extremely helpful, just the sort of info I wanted. Thanks so much.

3. Re: Cortona Panicale Sarteano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 07:15