We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siena to Cortona -- train or bus?

Which Cortona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
2 posts
Save Topic
Siena to Cortona -- train or bus?

Anyone have experience with getting from Siena to Cortona? We are going this March and would like to avoid renting a car (not really roaming around very much), so we are looking at either a train or bus. I can see that one has to connect by way of Chiusi to take a train, and then catch a short local bus up from the station in Camucia.

Mostly, I would love to hear if anyone has taken a bus from Sienna to Cortona, and how long that took, etc.

Thanks!

N. Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siena to Cortona -- train or bus?

I have only driven to Cortona from Siena (it is not far), but I guess bus would be easier.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,505 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siena to Cortona -- train or bus?

I don't think there is a bus between Siena and Cortona, but doing the train and local bus route is simple enough.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siena to Cortona -- train or bus?

Hello

I want to do the same so was wondering if you have worked out how you are going to do this now?

Thanks alot!

Nicole

Bahrain
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Siena to Cortona -- train or bus?

we too are doing the same in august. i need to know how i shoud travel from cortona to florence, seina and pisa. Pls let me know if you have travelled in this region -what is the best way to see the area.thks

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,097 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siena to Cortona -- train or bus?

On some routes buses are more convenient than trains, but it depends.

For bus timetables in the Siena area: http://www.busfox.com/timetable

Bus timetables in the Arezzo/Cortona area: www.etruriamobilita.it/index.php?SEZ=16

Train schedules: www.trenitalia.com

ortona
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Siena to Cortona -- train or bus?

Train connections to Cortona are a little bit tricky as it involves changing from an East/West line to a North/South one. To travel by train you need to catch the train in Siena and travel Chiusi, then change trains and travel north to Cortona. As previous poster advised, check out www.trenitalia.it

As for busses, I've never used them. I believe you would have to go from Siena to Montepulciano then change busses from Montepulciano to Cortona.

Keep in mind that a one way taxi ride is between 80-100 Euro, at least as of last year.

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Siena to Cortona -- train or bus?

I know the Cortona area very well. There is no direct bus route to Siena from Cortona but the train is just as easy. The nearest station is Camucia-Cortona, you change at Chuisi and then on to Siena. Check the train times on www.trenitaliacom as journey times vary depending on the time of day you travel (just under 2 hours). The bus takes you from the centre of Cortona and drops you right outside the train station. Remember to purchase tickets before travelling by either bus or train. Cortona-Camucia train station is also on the main line to/from Rome/Florence. We have used it many times with absolutely no problems.

8. Re: Siena to Cortona -- train or bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2009, 08:16