We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I miss my flight to Pisa?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Topic
Will I miss my flight to Pisa?

I am staying in Florence the night before I have an 11:55 AM international flight out of Pisa. I had just planned to leave Florence at around 7 am on a train and get to Pisa at around 8:30 am and by the time I find my way to the airport, it'll be around 9:30 am, in time for check-in. A friend of mine said that the trains in Italy are not reliable [late, strikes, etc.] and that she would not recommend this in case i miss my flight. Also we are leaving on a Sunday. I did check Trenitalia if trains are available that early from Florence on a Sunday and it says it is, but if anyone else knows anything about train service on a Sunday and how reliable trains are in general, your help is needed!

Thanks.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I miss my flight to Pisa?

I see on a Sunday there is a train at 6:37 arriving at 7:59. And then a 6:57 arriving at 8:06. That should get you definitely on time. When there are strikes, you usually know at least the day before, so, since the distance is not huge, you can make alternative plans. (I took a taxi to Pisa, once during a strike and another time in the middle of the night when there were no trains - expensive but doable even on short notice). Nowadays, intercity and eurostar trains are on time, and local usually are on time - I don't see why on a Sunday morning there should be such a huge delay, taken into account that the train to Pisa starts at Florence.

Have an enjoyable journey!!

Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I miss my flight to Pisa?

Wow. I am so impressed that you took the trouble to look that up for me. Thank you so much! And thanks for the information as well. It's good to know there are alternative forms of transportation available and you've definitely put my worries to rest. :)

thanks again.

florence
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I miss my flight to Pisa?

Ciao

You can take the train for Pisa aeroporto (no for Pisa Centrale),

it is faster and arrive directly in the airport, so you cannot miss the fly: for example

Saturday 9 april h.6.37am arrive in Pisa airport 8.07am

h.7.32 am arrive 9.07am

h.8.7 am arrive 9.30am

Sunday 10 april h.6.37am arrive 8.07am

h.8.07am arrive 9.30 am

check in trenitalia start: Firenze, arrive:Pisa areoporto

You can buy the ticket the day that you leave.

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I miss my flight to Pisa?

For infos about the airport have a look at

http://www.pisa-airport.com/index.php

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,577 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will I miss my flight to Pisa?

My experience over many years in Italy is that, apart from strikes, which is true anywhere, the train service is very good. Prompt and punctual and clean.

Just remember to stamp your ticket in the yellow box you find on every platform as it is not valid until it has a date and time stamp, even though you have paid for it.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will I miss my flight to Pisa?

seconding what Robert-J says - unless there's a strike the trains are usually pretty reliable. i'd trust them more than i'd trust trains in the UK. sunday services between florence and pisa are fine.

people know beforehand if there's going to be a strike. it's not THAT likely, but if you're really worried, ask at your hotel the day before so you can make alternative arrangements if you have to, or else look for signs in the station or in local newspapers (italian for 'strike' is 'sciopero', by the way - might be a useful word to know!).

i've found myself in florence needing to get to pisa for an early flight during a strike. i knew beforehand, but i would warn you that when i was there (and this might have changed by now) there wasn't a bus that i could get on a sunday to get me there in time for my flight, so it might be that you'd have to get a taxi. but all of this is probably (hopefully) irrelevant - it's not like they strike weekly or anything! :)

Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Will I miss my flight to Pisa?

Thanks so much for all your help guys [& gals.] I think I will leave my plans as they are and take your advice - just stay in florence the night before and double check about strikes, otherwise taking the early train into the airport terminal. Hmm, I had no idea about one going directly to the airport; how convenient.

Again, you guys are incredibly helpful. thanks so much. If it weren't for this, I probably would be searching for B&B's in Pisa right now. :)

australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Will I miss my flight to Pisa?

we travelled from pisa to florence last week - no dramas at all, plenty of trains took about 1/12 maybe 2 on one of the older trains. not sure how far out airport is from station though. to be safe just get an earlier train leaving florence?