We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Florence from Rome

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Florence from Rome

Hi, I am doing a day trip to Florence from Rome and plan to take the 6am trip to arrive in Florence before 8am. My itinerary is below... I know it is cramped but I would like to get your thoughts if feasible? If I lose some time, which one or two places do you recommend I drop?

I'm travelling on Nov 17

Galleria dell'Accademia 8:00am

San Lorenzo Market 9:30am

Ricardo Medici Palace 10:30am

Duomo Santa Maria del Fiore 11:30am

Piazza del Republica 12:30pm

LUNCH

Basilica di Santa Croce 1:45pm

GELATO BREAK

Piazza della Signoria 2:30pm

Uffizi Gallery 3:00pm

Ponte Vecchio 5:00pm

Piazzale Michaelangelo Dinner

Best Seller
Tuscany 1-Day Sightseeing Tour with...
7,330 Reviews
from US$106.50*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Full-Day Tour with Lunch...
780 Reviews
from US$106.50*
Best Seller
Florence to Cinque Terre Hiking Day...
3,380 Reviews
from US$106.50*
26 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
382 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Florence from Rome

You have neglected travel time between those locations. You won't be able to do it all. Pick some priorities.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
12,058 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Florence from Rome

I hope you have pre-booked time slots for the Accademia and Uffizi, otherwise you could spend hours in line. I wouldn't plan to do all those in two whole days, never mind with a two hour train journey each way.

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Florence from Rome

Travel time looks reasonable, at least based on google map estimates. I am inclined to drop piazza Michaelangelo as it is far away, will need to get back to train station in the evening for the trip back to Rome.

Boiling Springs...
Level Contributor
212 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Florence from Rome

Too rushed in the morning. Medici Palace is wonderful and with running to get to the Duomo you will be a whirlwind. Are you climbing the cupola or just looking at the church? I'd drop the market. I've made the trip from Rome for the day but only visited a couple of sights. I'd rather enjoy and see things at a slower pace but everyone is different.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,423 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Florence from Rome

You have also neglected waiting time in line to get in besides travel time between locations.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Florence from Rome

I would actually book a later slot for the accademia in case your train is delayed or u get lost. You don’t want to miss your slot.

Re: Uffizi. Unless there is a very specific painting you are dreaming of seeing, I’d leave this for another trip when you can devote more time to it and be more relaxed. The only way I’d do the Uffuzi on a day trip would be of if were the only thing I had on the agenda for the day.

Someone who knows Florence very well would have a hard time getting around at this pace. You have to also factor in that you may make some wrong turns and get lost.

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
453 posts
1,587 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Florence from Rome

My first reaction to this schedule is - why are you jamming all of this in to one day? I have been to Florence many times and I know my way around very well and it would be difficult for me just to get from place to place, let alone be able to enjoy any of it.

Do you have reservations at the Accademia and the Uffizi? The Accademia does not open until 8:15 and they often do not open exactly on time. If you do not have a reservation, there is no way you will be in the door according to your schedule. When you arrive at the train station in Florence at 8 a.m., you have a have a 20 - 30 minute walk to the Accademia - walking at a very good clip. Without a reservation, you will wait in line AT LEAST one hour to get in. Even if you have a reservation you will probably have to wait a short amount of time. The same is true at the Uffizi - without a reservation you will probably wait in line more than one hour - especially in the afternoon.

As for the Duomo, once again, do you have a reservation? The line for the Duomo is AT LEAST 1 1/2 hours long. Once you get to the front of the line, you then have to climb to the top and enjoy the view.

We just returned from Florence and I can attest to the long lines. In November the lines may not be quite as bad as they were in October, but there is still no way you can adhere to that schedule when three of the places you want to visit have notoriously long wait times. I can only assume you do not have reservations for the Duomo, the Accademia or the Uffizi.

I would hate to see you disappointed by not getting to visit all the places you want to, but that is way too much to tackle in one day. It is not inexpensive to visit these museums and it would be a waste of money just to enter and not spend any time there just so you can say you have been there. The Uffizi is quite large and there is a whole lot of territory to cover.

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
453 posts
1,587 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Florence from Rome

Santa Croce is closed until further notice because a tourist was hit by a chunk of falling stone and killed. There is no way to know if it will be open by November 17. You will have to check their website. If it is open, there is often a lengthy line of people waiting to get in.

The thing that strikes me about your schedule is that you did not realize that you had to build in travel times from one place to another and factor in how long you would have to wait in line to gain entry. You may want to consider a tour which could zip you around from place to place and at least you could get a "taste" of each place.

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
453 posts
1,587 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Florence from Rome

Another thing about the places you want to visit, to enter the Duomo you actually purchase a ticket which is for three sights - the Baptistery, the Duomo and the Duomo Museum. You could easily visit the Baptistery, but the Duomo Museum would take at least an hour. So if you only want to visit the Duomo, that would be a waste of money. You purchase this ticket at the ticket office across from the Baptistery. When you purchase your ticket, they can tell you if there are any reservations available that day. When we were there in October, there were no reservations for two days.

I would suggest you take another look at your itinerary and determine what is most important to you. If you love museums - as I do - I would suggest making a reservation in the morning for the Accademia and another in the afternoon for the Uffizi. Then I would "play it by ear" and see what you feel like doing. If you make a reservation at the Accademia for first thing, you can easily do everything in your morning schedule - except for the Duomo.

Piazzalle Michelangelo is across the Arno River up a VERY steep hill. It will take you a good 45 minutes or more to make that climb - even if you are in good physical condition. You will probably be tired after all your running around. It is a beautiful view from up there but it may be dark by the time you plan to get there. It starts to get dark early that time of year. Plus November can be rainy and if it is, that will lessen the impact of the view.

You were leaning toward eliminating that part of your plan. It seemed like you were planning on having dinner up there. I can only think of one place to eat up there and I would not recommend it. I would just walk around the city instead. It is such a beautiful city and you should allow yourself some time just to enjoy it.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
12,058 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Florence from Rome

I presume the OP only wants to go into the Duomo, not up the tower. Entrance to the cathedral is free.

Reply to: Day trip to Florence from Rome
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted