We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car question

Minnesota
Level Contributor
161 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car question

We are coming in March and will have 5 nights in Florence. My husband would like to rent a car to travel to the Chianti area and also the hill town area south of Sienna. Is it possible to rent a car for a day and drive south of Florence into the country? We have stayed in the Tuscany area on a previous trip but had rented a car in Pisa. I know that it would cost more to have a car just for a day, but he'd rather do that then deal with parking or do a tour. I see a number of rental places on google maps on Borgo Ognissanti. Is that location the best?

9 replies to this topic
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
39,879 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car question

You can do that or you can take the train or bus to the towns you wish to visit.

Donna

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car question

It is easy to rent a car in the Borg'Ognissanti and drive south, past the Porta Romana, out of the city on the Via Senese, and connect with any of the multiple roads that lead to the Chianti Valley, Siena, and south.

First of all, make sure that you know all there is to know about the ZTL traffic limitation zones -- in Florence, Siena, and just about every other town you might think about visiting -- and about reserved bus lanes, and about the other vagaries of Italian traffic law that could make your trip far, far more expensive than you can possibly imagine, There are things to read about all that on the right side of this page.

Secondly, do not -- repeat -- do not try to do too much. There are few things I enjoy more than driving in that part of the world, but it takes far, far longer to go any distance in Tuscany than it does in Minnesota.

To try to see anything at all in Siena and then drive south of Siena to see anything around, say, Montalcino or Montepulciano, or whatever, will make for a truly exhausting day. And driving into Florence at night, with all the difficulties of the ZTL etc., after dark, could easily become a nightmare.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
161 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car question

We have done Sienna, so just want to go south into the countryside, and don't have a particular place in mind. Thanks for the info.

CA
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car question

Returning a car to Hertz or Avis on Borgo Ognissanti, if you pull up a google map and draw a line south from the Amergo Vespucci bridge, you will not enter a ZTL if proceeding any further east.

CA
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car question

I mean to say west of the line is OK.

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car question

Francophool:

I think you also got north and south confused. The Borg'Ognissanti is north of the Amerigo Vespucci bridge (Note the correct spelling of "Amerigo."), not south.

Wouldn't it make sense to delete that very erroneous post?

Anybody who follows your directions is going to wind up lost and in the ZTL and headed away from Hertz, Avis, and all the other car rental offices in that block.

CA
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car question

Yes that was rather clumsy. I know how to get there, and any further clarification would probably make matters worse.

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car question

I think you should instruct TA to delete the post.

CA
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car question

Good idea sir, and thanks for all the insights you have provided in your very instructive posts.

Reply to: Rental car question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted