We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Florence

new york
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Florence

Hi, My husband and I are going to Florence in September. We are staying at the Croce Di Malta, How is it? We have two days here, any suggestions on what to do? Where should we eat?

Thanks

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Florence

I don't know the hotel, so let me move on to my ideas on what you should do in 2 days: rule of thumb - 1 church + 1 museum a day. So one day do the Uffizi and Duomo (including the Baptistry and Giotto's Tower); the other day visit the Accademia and either Church of Santa Maria Novella or Santa Croce. Other things to fill in the day: on your first day, go to Piazzale Michelangelo for the sunset; you should shop along Ponte Vecchio as well as San Lorenzo's Market; if there is more time to fill - Pitti Palace and Boboli Gardens. Two eateries we enjoyed were Faniculi (pizza primarily but killer desserts) and Al Vecchio Carlino.

London, UK
Level Contributor
520 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Florence

2 days is a good time, you won't be able to see everything but you should be able to get a good feel. Walk round the city see the Duomo (the inside is disappointing) and it is the Dome that is the masterpiece; Ghiberti's baptistery doors are also unmissable; the Uffizi (but book your tickets beforehand); Santa Croce, Santa Maria Novella, the Pontevecchio - all easily accessible. If you want to focus a bit more on the culture side of things the Pitti Palace has an amazing collection of high renaissance art (but give the Boboli a miss) and also you can catch the David (or a copy of it) in the Piazza Signoria. Unless you are a complete art buff you can probably miss out on the Santa Maria del Carmine, San Marco & San Lorenzo. San Miniato and Piazzale Michelangelo are well worth it for the view (and stop off at Fuori Porta for lunch/a drink on the way back down)

Other restaurants to recommend are Quatre Leone, Osteria Santa Spirito, Borgo Antico, Trattoria Cibreino, Osteria de Benci, Baldovino - all of these are worth trying. Have fun.

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Florence

Don't miss Michelangelo's statue of David at the Accademia, and reserve ahead to avoid a wait. The Ponte Vecchio and the Baptitstry Doors are also things not to miss IMO. Bistecca alla fiorentina at either Buca Lapi or The White Boar, and lunch at Mamma Gina's. Leather goods from Parri's. Elegant designer shopping on Via Tornabuoni, and at the other end of the spectrum, the open air market at San Lorenzo is fun. Keep your wallets securely tucked away, even LOCKED away...a little padlock to secure the end of the zipper pull on your handbag would be great....I used the little brass ones from my Louis Vuitton luggage for the rest of the trip for both my Mother's and my handbag, unfortunately I didn't get the idea until the day AFTER my Mom's wallet was lifted very professionally on the Ponte Vecchio.