We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking shoes

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Walking shoes

Hi all

Can anyone suggest a pair of good walking shoes to buy in Australia for the Tuscan hill towns and the Cinque Terre....I keep reading about the tiring cobblestones of the Italian streetscapes and how your feet really suffer. I believe even sneekers are no good. This is for a woman that I am taking about! I do have a good pair of runners and more dressy hush puppies

Any ideas

Cheers

Niec

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,699 reviews
from US$111.90*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,313 reviews
from US$121.90*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
296 reviews
from US$99.50*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,080 reviews
from US$111.90*
Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
299 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking shoes

You'll be fine with your runners. That's all us yanks mean by walking shoes, tennis shoes, etc. You might even consider bringing some gel inserts for extra cushioning. Even with wearing comfy shoes, my feet still hurt by the end of the day. If you're like me, you'll be on your feet much longer than when at home. I give 'em a good soak or put them up on a pillow and I'm ready for more by the next day.

Cobblestones...they can "jump up" and trip your feet if you're not careful. Just keep an eye on where you're walking and you shouldn't have a problem. This is sometimes hard with all the beautiful buildings surrounding you. :)

Enjoy your holiday!

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking shoes

The main thing, go with a pair which has already been broken into. No new pair is as comfortable as an old one. On top of the above suggestions, bring a good foot cream, and everything will be fine.

europe
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking shoes

Sneakers are fine!

I even wear flipflops in summertime, they look good with skirts, are comfy and fresh! :-)

Runners? No way those will be necessary, just some nice sneakers like Puma or Nike and you will be fine. Dressy shoes for an evening out are a must, according to me. I always like flats: easy and pretty!

Have fun!!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking shoes

I don't wear sneakers nor runners except to run or play sports. That goes for at home and while travelling.

IMO, a good pair of walking shoes are a must. Cobblestones and uneven pavement are tough on feet, and most people not to walking miles each day.

Flip flops offer no arch support at all and are not a good choice unless you are a teenager and care more about wearing flip flops than you do about your feet. (Brands like Merrell and others with good arch support are not in the same class).

Not sure what brands you can buy in AZ, but look for Cole Hahn (with Nike Air technology built in), Keen, Merrell, Geoxx. They all make stylish and comfortable shoes, good for the long haul.

As Anon says, no new shoes.

I like to take a hot bath and soak my feet my bit when at my siesta time. And, a good foot cream (I use one with eucalyptus which is very soothing) is a must.

europe
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking shoes

@ Caviargal: I am not a teenager and I wear flipflops because I think the are comfy and nice! I know a lot of people that travel and walk a lot on them.

Footwear is a personal choice and also what is comfy is a personal choice. What to choose for footwear is up to YOU.

Hiking in the Canadian Mountains, going up volcanos in Chile or city trips to Paris and Rome --> all done by Puma sneakers. :-)

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking shoes

esnupi, everything is a personal choice : -).

If you are happy wearing flip flops everywhere then you should certainly do so. The OP asked about a "pair of good walking shoes" and indicated concern about the toll her feet will be taking.

I have never heard flip flops categorized as "good walking shoes". Certainly, no podiatrist or exercise professional would suggest them for extensive walking.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking shoes

Well thanks all

I wish I could wear flip flops but I'd walk right off them. I don't like the look of any of the heavy sneekers as they certainly are not stylish on my feet BUT I am all for comfort and enjoyment on this trip and I will take the advise of wearing the ones I have broken in ...ie ...my good diane ferrari boots which I trampled all over NZ in. Very comfortable and the dressy hush puppies which both are low heeled and perhaps my body shoes which are worn in also.

I thought by the info that I had read that I would need something even more sturdier than those.

Thanks for the info on foot cream and I will certainly be putting my feet up at night.

Niec

8. Re: Walking shoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 00:18