We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hmmmm.....Siggghhhh.......Ho Hum........

New York
Level Contributor
212 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hmmmm.....Siggghhhh.......Ho Hum........

....well.....the post Italy doldrums have hit. I'm sad....I want to go back....today. I had Tivo'd some shows on Italy that have been on and sat down last evening and watched them.....ahh.....there was one on the Amalfi Coast....another on Sicily..I just want to spend a year in Italy and experience it all. This little man Floyd on one of the shows said it best...."Italy is Fun!!" So true, I thought....it IS fun! LOL

I'm just starting to get over my post flight disease of coughing and hacking and sneezing, etc. (even with Airborne use)....I don't care though....I could die there and be happy.

Also....my hobby is gone. I spent every free moment I had reading, researching and planning...now I have nothing.

I feel the adage of "Better to have love and lost than never have loved at all" is sadly true here....but oh how I miss her....my Italia...my Firenze.

Don't I sound pitiful!??!!! LOL I knew this would happen....oh well....back to life as we know it!

Take pity on me, please! Many of you know how I'm feeling....and the rest of you will soon enough!

:) Ciao Ciao!

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hmmmm.....Siggghhhh.......Ho Hum........

LaDolce,my dear friend, I know exactly what you are saying. I am sending big hugs to you !! There is nothing you can do except to keep reading the trip reports and sharing your experiences on the forum and start planning your next trip !! I doubt that you will ever get over it,sorry to say!! You really must start to plan the next one, even if it is far away.

I am sadly already picturing myself-4 weeks from today exactly--feeling the same depression as you are feeling right now. Eerie that you would post this on exactly this day,LOL !!!

I will be trying to switch gears very swiftly over to buying and preparing Thanksgiving dinner. I will be basting my turkey with tears !!!

There should be a warning sign somewhere that says "Danger, your life will never be the same once you set your foot on Italian soil !!!" !! Well, we do try to warn people on TA, but nobody really listens and nobody really believes it until it happens to them !! HaHaHaHa, I had the "Just one trip" mentality before going there too. Just please Lord, let me have one trip to Italy before I die !! I will never ask for another one!! HAAAAA !!!!! I have discovered that I am selfish--greedy!!! I am an addict. Nothing to do but keep planning the next trip.

LaDolce, you keep your chin up. Let the tears flow. Stay on TA amongst all the others that have been blown away and are looking for the life raft. We are here for you !!!!!!!! LOL !!!!! Donna

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hmmmm.....Siggghhhh.......Ho Hum........

You struck a chord with me!!! I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm just back after two weeks in Italy, FIRENZE being my favorite!!

I was prepared, but I wasn't AWARE of what it would really be. The sounds of the barristas; the clanking dishes all over the city preparing for lunch; corner shops opening to the day and italians mulling over the day to come; it sounds odd, but I grew to LOVE these sounds and looked for them.

They know how to do it in Italy - I was relaxed the entire time. Time was nothing.

The cappucinos - oh I miss the cappucinos!! My hips don't. And Gellato in the afternoons - I could get used to that.

I'm like you, my hobby is gone and I've gone dark. I keep reviewing my pictures over and over as if I'm still there. I can repeat every restaurant, shop owner name, streets, etc. I'm nutz over Italy!!!

And this is really dumb....I fell in love with the word "PREGO" (sp). Maybe I just loved how they say it, I don't know.

hugs to you, my friend. I miss it too!!! CRY!

Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hmmmm.....Siggghhhh.......Ho Hum........

All I can say is, welcome to the club!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,591 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hmmmm.....Siggghhhh.......Ho Hum........

I too fell your pain. In my case it is difficult to keep talking about the trip(which is in my head all the time) because my DH doesn't like to travel and is hoping that i have gotten it out of my system(ha ha ha)

I ma already trying to figure out how I can get back to Venice(my fave) and revisit Florence at a time of less heat and less congestion so I would like it better. I am also trying to fit in the Tuscany hill towns and maybe Rome but SHHH don't tell him.

I too have lost my hobby BUT I have found that planning a small trip (ANYWHERE) helps! Sooo I have decided to meet my sister(who lives in NYC) in a part of Florida we have never visited(hence need for research)We are going to St Petersburgh and are staying on St Pete Beach for 5days in January.

It is NOT Italy but it gives me something to look forward to before my next Italy jaunt(and there WILL be a next one!)

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florida
Florida
United States
United States
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hmmmm.....Siggghhhh.......Ho Hum........

Well, I haven't even left yet (2 more days) and I am planning my next trip already. My niece is taking Italian in school this year and I have promised her a trip when school is out. ;^)

TAB

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hmmmm.....Siggghhhh.......Ho Hum........

That seems to be the trick. My husband always remarks that when I come back from vacation, I am immediately busy planning the next trip. Lately, I was under great pression at work, and i planned three...

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hmmmm.....Siggghhhh.......Ho Hum........

Anon~~may I assume that none of those three will include Florence between the 10 November and 15 November?? :-)

New York
Level Contributor
212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hmmmm.....Siggghhhh.......Ho Hum........

Oh, my friends....you truly ARE the only ones that understand! I still dream of Florence every night....seriously....it makes me look forward to falling asleep at night....revisiting my favorite place in the world.

It sounds so melodramatic...and it is of course.....lol! But I really truly cannot wait to go back. Hopefully in the next two years....

A chord was struck with me as well when you mentioned the sounds....yes.....the sounds....and the smells. Oh well....I need to remain grateful that I had this opportunity and stay connected to my friends here.....congrats to all of you leaving soon and to those just beginning your planning. It is well worth the time, the money, and the nerves!

Witty.....take me....take me...please! Ok...well....just make sure you have a FABULOUS time and write down all the wonderful details!

Anon.....you are my hero....3 trips.....ahh.....

:)

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hmmmm.....Siggghhhh.......Ho Hum........

LaDolce, you know that I would take you with me if I could !! I wish that I was really rich so that I could afford to help my friends get back there more often !! The way I see it, is if you appreciate "my" wonderful town, then you should be able to go back again !!

On the flip side, this past year for me has absolutely flown by !! Of course it didn't feel like that for the first couple months, but after that--yes it really did fly by!! So, if you think that you can possibly get back there within a couple years, then you can trust me that it will eventually not seem that far away to you! Sounds like I'm making it up, I know, especially when you are suffering right now, but honestly, I speak the truth!!

And I will most definitely write a very detailed trip report--enough to make many people groan!! LOL !

And I promise you that I will think of you and raise my glass in a toast to you while I am there!!!

You are not alone LaDolce !! In fact, I will be writing the same sob story with all the same melodrama included one month from now. I have been there twice, and I have fallen in love and then fallen more in love, but I still don't truly understand how that country can get such a strong hold on so many people's hearts. I can, but I can't...LOL.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,954 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hmmmm.....Siggghhhh.......Ho Hum........

I am afraid that severe withdrawal symptoms occur whenever I leave not just Florence but a great many other places in Italy - parrticularly Venice but lots of other places large and small - ranging from Milan or Bologna to places such as Pienza, Gubbio, Spoleto, Ravenna and many more.

The only place in the whole of Italy I did not find entirely enjoyable and anxious to return to was Palermo, which neither my wife nor I found entirely enjoyable. Difficult to say why, just felt a little uneasy.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Palermo
Palermo