We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Za Za's trattoria

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa Florida
13 posts
Save Topic
Za Za's trattoria

I was there last week and saw that Frommers had rated it as a local place. It was a total tourist trap. They rushed you from when you sat down until they gave you the bill and the food was the worse I had during my entire stay in Italy. I would stay away from Za Za's.

UK
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Za Za's trattoria

Tratttoria Zà Zà is certainly very popular with tourists and is always very crowded which leads to a sense that the service is rushed. Nevertheless, I have always found the quality of the food to be fairly good - not the best in Florence but still fine.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Za Za's trattoria

Totaly acord with Janet!

I stay 10 days in florence (24sept), and at ZaZa was the worst pizza i ever eat!! Stay away.On the same square are 5 'trattorias", we eat in"Trattoria Toscana Vecchio Mercato",very good(specialy lasagne), and good prices,not very crowded.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Za Za's trattoria

Now, it's tied. I'm in agreement with ellonway.

I can see how disappointed you were when the place was described as a local place by Frommers. Then to be surrounded by other tourists and feeling rushed was probably not what you expected and your dinner was maybe soured from the beginning. Hopefully, you found someplace "local" to experience that feeling.

One night we were there, a tourist bus filled the place in minutes. However, I knew it was a touristy restaurant by searching restaurants on this forum and the menu was more American-Italian, if that makes sense. I would agree the quality was fairly good as well. I wouldn't call it the worst, however.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
714 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Za Za's trattoria

When I was in Florence in May, I passed by ZaZa's and it was always packed and didn't call out to me. Instead, I went to Cellini's which is in the area. They have indoor and outdoor covered seating. I ate several meals there - was never rushed, and the staff was terrific.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Za Za's trattoria

I tried it once several years ago and was not impressed. IMO, it is designed around tourists.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Za Za's trattoria

we spent a couple months in Florence a few summers back and this place was on our list of places to avoid as well -- it reminded me of an American chain restaurant -- and in addition to the so so food, and rushed service -- they allowed people to wait standing in the aisles and hanging over the tables -- so you had people waiting pushed up against your chair -- so many better places in Florence

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Za Za's trattoria

Hey, this place, while not my favorite in Florence by any means, is just fine. I will say that I was madly in love with this place when they treated us so well on a recent trip.

We arrived really late at night due to delayed flights and incompetent business transportation provided and we were STARVING. They were the only restaurant that was willing to take us in that whole area as they and others had technically closed 5 minutes prior. WHen they saw how hungry we were and that they had seated their last table only 15 minutes earlier and they had just ordered, they welcomed us with open arms. They did not rush us out the door either, insisting on buying us an appetizer and a dessert and after dinner they would not hear of us leaving without our coffee and limoncello! The chef and two waiters along with a host sat and chatted with us at the end of the night and we just had a lovely time and so appreciated their hospitality. Was it the best overall meal I've ever had in Florence - no. Was it good and did I feel I got good value for the money? Absolutely. My pasta was simple and delicious - my coworkers had two salads and a pasta which were good, though one ordered a pizza that was certainly lacking. TO his credit, the waiter tried to discourage her order saying it was not their strength, but she insisted. Turns out he was right.

I have been by other times to see it crowded beyond belief, filled with tourists of all kinds, including other Italians. I can imagine that a restaurant this big when it gets that crowded, as in most any restaruant, service and quality end up lacking somewhat. However, they will forever hold a special place in my heart for being so good to us and I would assure anybody who wanted to eat there that the meal would be just fine, they would not get ripped off and the atmosphere is lovely and lively.

BTW, in case you think they were being nice to us because we are young, hot 20-somethings...let me assure you, we are NOT! A group of middle aged business women, one of whom speaks passable Italian, who were simply starving and looking for a home. They gave it to us and it ended up being a good memory of our day instead of a bad one. I will never forget them for that.

So, eat here or not, as you choose. But know it will not be the worst experience of your life or any such thing, and that if you go at a time that is not "high volume" period, you will likely get friendly and charming service. And if you need good food late at night, it is a great option.

Ciao! LL

8. Re: Za Za's trattoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 07:15